Fdx only: compile screenplay

Hi there,

I know heaps of people want to finish their scripts up for Final Draft, but I usually use word or pdf to share with other non-writers. All of a sudden the option to change the compile file type seems to have disappeared?
The only way I can get a file out is as a .fdx.

I currently have a work around to “export” as a txt and resave it as a .docx, but just wondering why compile has changed and if it will be changed back anytime soon?

thanks,

Jocelyn

You say the option has disappeared, so does that mean the top of the compile window is completely blank now? You should reinstall the software if pieces of the user interface are missing.

I currently have a work around to “export” as a txt and resave it as a .docx, but just wondering why compile has changed and if it will be changed back anytime soon?

Why not export as DOCX, and what is meant by putting export in quotes? There is an actual File ▸ Export ▸ Files... command that supports around half a dozen different file types.

But yeah, obviously having 30 .docx files to piece together instead of one PDF isn’t ideal, so I don’t know if it’s worth dwelling too much on that.

Compile’s final step is a click on Export, too. It’s an export either way.

1 Like

If you don’t have a copy of Final Draft, you can open an FDX in WriterSolo (which is free) and resave it as a PDF.

1 Like

Ha - I feel like such a goose - I’ve clearly forgotten you change file-type first rather than last like in other applications. I’ve found it now, back at the top of the first window like you describe. Sorry for jumping the gun! :slight_smile: Did it maybe change from default of “print” up there to a default of “fdx” at some stage recently?

I was just using the quoters around “export” to indicate I meant that option, “file>export>files>export”, rather than"compile" which is “file>compile>export” (as drmajorbob mentions below - they both are ways to export.)

Okay that makes sense! It is at the top because everything below that point can change depending on what you pick. The contents of the left sidebar, naturally the middle preview since each format can look different, and even which tabs are available on the right, and what goes into them.

Not in the way you’re thinking, I don’t think, and no in general otherwise. Each project remembers what you last used, and that includes what a project template was set up to use when it was saved. So there is no default once you create a project. The hard underlying default which is used if you delete settings files out of the project to fully nuke its compile setup is “Print” though.

1 Like