Feature freeze notwithstanding

Something I’m struggling with in trying to go completely electronic, and probably the only reason I still use a real life cork board to complement the Scrivener Corkboard is this:

I have little numbered stickers that I use on my (real life) index cards that I use to indicate something that I have setup (or foreshadowed) that needs to be resolved or answered later. For example: a female character may anomalously wear a man’s watch which another character remarks on but does not get an answer to. At some point it needs to be explained why this is (eg it’s her dead brother’s). On my big board the sticker thing works well, cause I can see which setups have been resolved and which haven’t just by looking at the board. So sticker no 1 will have a corresponding no 1 somewhere further along the board etc. I can quickly see which loose ends I need to tie up.

Now I would love a way to be able to track these in Scrivener. Or, if anyone else works in this way, I’d love to know how they do it in Scrivener.

Tripper

I’ve been thinking about this question myself - I call them set-ups and pay-offs. One difficulty with automating this in software would be that some set-ups have more than one pay-off and vice-versa.

Blake Snyder’s Save the Cat! screenwriting structure software has an automated version of this functionality, but it only has a one-to-one correlation, and it’s not very well implemented in my opinion.

Have you considered using Scrivener’s keywords feature for this? I think it’s the solution. Just tag each relevant document with a new keyword such as “the watch” for example. You’ll be able to search, you can see a complete list of set-ups and pay-offs, and its ‘HUD’ is even visible in full-screen mode.

One teeny suggestion I might make for 2.0 is to add auto-complete to the “add keyword” box. It would only need to reference the existing keywords.

Cheers

Robin

This is already there. As with all auto-completion on OS X, hit opt-Escape or cmd-period to bring up a list of auto-completions after you’ve typed the first letter.

Aahhh so. Once again Scrivener is ahead of me.

Incidentally or some reason cmd-period doesn’t do it (it’s the same as hitting enter) but opt-Escape does work. Thanks.