Feature request: labeled connections

Hi,
I’m using Scapple to map the interactions and relations between people and groups in my story. (see attachment) Right now it means that I have to create two connections and an extra note to have a labeled connection.

How about having the possibility to “label” a connection that then creates the same thing :

• floating text attached to the connection
  • the position of the text along the connection can be changed
  • if the orientation of the connection changes , the text moves too
    labeled connections.png

Here is a prior post: Label the arrows.

I second this request. Having labels on connections establishes relationships between ideas. The workflow of adding notes to the connecting lines is less than ideal and can cause issues when importing into Scrivener.

Please do not post “votes” for features, this is against the forum rules. Keith will decide whether or not to include a feature based on its merits, not how many votes it has. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I know I tread on dangerous ground here, but I don’t think the response was a “vote”. At least not in the obnoxious

that we normally see. The inclusion of a rational “why” make this more of an “ancillary supporting deposition of usefulness” which many of the long support/wish-list threads imply is an acceptable form of support.

I think I was just supportive of someone. What is wrong with me? I need a nap.

1 Like

Well all right, it isn’t a “+1”. :slight_smile: But this has been discussed several times in the past (here and here). Basically it’s not an easy thing to add, the whole framework doesn’t support the notion, but it is on the list of things to consider for the future.

As to the requested feature… I could care less. I just thought the post was not the vote and was employing “mediocre civil unrest” at the idea that it was considered such

:stuck_out_tongue:

Take that!

I always suspected that under your case-hardened, tungsten steel exterior, dwelt a gentle, caring type. aww … bless :smiley:

I am new here, but from what I can see, Connection Labels have been added after all in version 1.3 of Scapple.
https://www.literatureandlatte.com/latest/scapple-1-3-released
At least they have if you run on Mac.

Is there any plan to do the same thing on PC or is it still stuck on “Version: 1.0.0.0 - 08 Oct 2013” indefinitely?

Thanks

J

Yes, we will be updating Scapple for Windows once Scrivener 3 is done.

I was going to make some suggestions for Scrapple. After watching some video’s on YouTube I came to the realization that Scapple already had many of those features - on the MacOS version.

I wish to point out two things:

1. Scapple is a planning, outlining, relationship mapping program. I would argue that while useful for writers, the main users of such software are programmers, engineers and corporate planners using large desktop monitors - not tablets. I would used a small screen if forced to by circumstance, but anything I can plan on my iPhone or tablet I might as well just keep in my head or use a napkin. To really work a project you need a large screen.

2. MacOS has about 7% of the world wide market for PCs. Windows has over 95% of the Corporate market for desktops/laptops. It has been that way for more than a decade and even the M1 isn’t going to change that.

“Ya dance with the one that brung ya” and LL fame and fortune came from MacOS, but it is a little frustrating when LL apparently treats Windows users like second class class citizens.

Looking forward to a Windows Scapple that is similar to the versions used in YouTube videos.

Here we go again… :laughing:

It doesn’t matter how many more years we effectively spend on Windows. It never will.

This phrase is not clear to me so not sure what you mean.

As this thread shows, Windows users have been asking for feature parity with the MacOS version of Scapple for at least four years. Other threads also say LL wants to do a complete re-write of Scapple so it can run better on IOS. So after the MacOS and IOS versions are re-written then I assume the Windows version will get some attention.

I am a Windows user so I am just hoping to get a little more of that LL love coming my way.

It’s mainly an issue with how this particular impression has been sprinkled through different threads over the years, mainly in the Scrivener beta board, where we’ve posted lengthy explanations of the development process and how we work, in response. The misconception seems to often be that L&L is one amorphous entity that chooses where to put emphasis in its time, and often leavened with the belief that L&L is much bigger than it actually is—with teams of coders no less.

In short though, almost all of what you’re saying contradicts one simple fact: the development for each platform is run entirely separately. The programmers for each platform never help out on other projects nor would they know how to. So this notion that we would delay working on Scapple for Windows because another person entirely is modernising the code over on the Mac side doesn’t stand to reason.

To stress: it’s perfectly understandable that this keeps coming up, don’t take it in any way personal—because who has time to read through years of posts. But that’s why I say it will never end. It doesn’t matter how hard they work on the platform, or how much time L&L puts into it in ways other than development, the assumption will always be that we deliberately and inexplicably choose to work slower on one platform.

The sole fact that matters is what I said above:

Once they reach a point where the major bugs are fixed and the missing areas of implementation are fleshed out, then there will be time for it. I’m not sure whether they will decide to move on to Android (as many have asked for over the years, and there will be bitterness no matter which gets chosen) or Scapple, but the only bottleneck is what they can do at any given time.

First, let me say, that I own licenses for both Windows and MacOS, and goodness gracious the Windows version of Scrivener was a hot mess forever. I’m tickled that I can continue to work when using a Win machine.

That said, the fundamental question is what operating system do most creatives use?

I don’t know what statistics exist to track what writer-types use. But we can look into related fields: Graphic Arts, Motion Picture, and Sound Recording.

The user base in those industries is largely devoted to MacOS (yes, that has changed a bit lately, but my day job is interfacing with major labels and the big motion picture houses, I can’t recall a time when a Windows-based anything was stipulated in the rider/RFP/deliverable list.) Likewise try to find a heavy-duty financial, statistical, or robust database application that has no Windows version. There are some industries that are in love with their chosen OS.

Historically, L&L was a Mac-based title. The fact that they even have a Windows version is a minor miracle. I think the slower Win development is a matter of resources, not a scheme to make life tougher for the Windows crowd.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that artistic types, who’s talents include exaggeration and self promotion, have appropriated the word “creative” to sooth their fragile egos.

Creativity exists in all aspects of human activities. The Chef, who is an artist at combining flavors, textures, shape and colour to turn an ordinary sandwich into a culinary experience. The Engineer who figures out how to make plumbing work in a building 800m tall. The economist and logistics coordinator who quickly get the supplies needed by the factory making a vaccine to reduce the number people who die from a pandemic. The CEO with a vision and the ability to inspire his employees to produce things the world didn’t even know it needed. The politician who convinces an uninformed and uninterested public to support policies that prevent environmental disaster. All these aspects of human activity benefit from the creativity of their respective practitioners.

I love Monet, I love Shakespeare, I love Eminem. I love Kubrick. They make my life better. They make me think in a different way and open my mind to new things. Most appreciate the creativity that goes into a Concerto. Why is it so hard to appreciate the creativity that went into making a toilet that doesn’t smell like a sewer?

The simple fact is most who engage in “creative” tasks don’t use Macs. Maybe most computer based artists do, but that is only one part of human activity and human talent. Scapple in particular, more than Scrivener, is a brilliant tool to augment and amplify human creativity. It would be nice if the 90% of the creatives in the world who don’t use Macs had full access to it.

The next time you pick up your smart phone, the next time you work on your computer, the next time you watch Netflix or listen to music from a streaming service, ask yourself, what did John Bardeen create? I am humbled by his achievements. I am embarrassed I had to look up his name.

My rant is nothing personal BTW, but as a life long technical person it is frustrating to lack the verbal talent and skills to make the case to people who won’t even make an effort to understand what I do, to understand my language. I don’t understand the creative world but I do appreciate it and envy the insights of artists. At the same time, I also feel sorry for a person who can’t see the shear brilliance and creativity of FM radio and it’s massive impact on engineering, computing science and information theory. Narrowly defining creativity to those who work in artistic endeavors is neither accurate or useful.

I know L+L is originally a MacOS company with a emphasis on writers. I also know it is small with limited resources. My point is there are plenty of creative people out there who would appreciate and benefit from Scapple and most of them use Windows by necessity if not by choice. I want to make the case for more attention from those limited resources.

1 Like