Feature Request - Markdown Export

My search in the forum didn’t turn this up, so I’d like to post a request to include “export to markdown” in iOS Scrivener. I write in mostly markdown anyway, so 90% of what I write could just be copy/pasted, but I very much appreciate the ability to use Scrivener’s excellent footnote engine anywhere I write. Not having the ability to export to markdown form my iOS devices means any blog posts with footnotes need to be posted from my Mac.

It’s not a huge issue. I’m also certain you’ve got a ton on your plate, Keith, but I thought I’d put it out for consideration.

Thank you, Scrivener on iOS is amazing!

Let me toss my two cents’ worth in on this.

I’ve started using Scrivener (iOS and Mac) as my primary venue for drafting blog posts. I had been using Ulysses (and still love it), but Scrivener’s powerful Binder allows me to organize and archive my previous posts with greater ease.

Thus, I am quite fluent with Markdown because it is easily portable into the various Wordpress blog sites that host my offerings. So having this ability with in the iOS app would be quite handy.

My longer work (such as the last book and the one I’m working now), remain in Scrivener’s “native” state.

Oh yes! I write all my texts in Markdown (and export HTML to Evernote) since years.
A extended keyboard line would be great too - but I modified the keys of the character ribbon, so it is “okay”
But any kind of preview or export for Markdown would be absolutly great!!!

I’m interested in this as well.

That said, I think I’ll just start writing with #headings in the text, though I might experiment with inserting them automatically from level titles as well.

And I’m used to doing the [^note] trick with the note down below.

[^note]:So maybe I’ll just continue doing that.

One thing I don’t get with Scrivener, iOS or Big, is if I’m exporting markdown, why I’d want to do much at all with Scrivener’s formatting. Other than pushing to PDF, and not even then, it all goes by the wayside anyway, it seems to me.

Maybe I’m missing something …

You can already convert rich text to basic Markdown and export as a .markdown file. You can then open that file in any app that supports Markdown to convert to other formats if needed. There are no plans to add all the MMD Compile options the macOS version has, though, sorry.

All the best,
Keith

I shall have to review the MMD stuff in the Mac version. Pointers to particularly juicy writeups will be appreciated. Thanks!

This ability is available within iOS Scrivener? If so, how accessed?

Select plain text and then check “Convert to Basic Markdown”.

All the best,
Keith

No problem Keith, just through I’d ask. I have to see if some of my apps will import rich text and convert it to multimarkdown. I’d not considered that. If not, I’ll just go back to writing my footnotes with multimarkdown mark-up and skip the issue entirely.

For folks saying they are used to just doing typical multimarkdown for the footnotes, I do that as well. But there are writings which I start on my blog and later convert to other formats, multimarkdown export in iOS would have just made me have to worry about one step later on.

Dang. It gets better all the time…

You don’t need apps that import rich text and convert it to Markdown - Scrivener’s export will do that for you. Just choose to compile to plain text and then turn on “Convert to Basic Markdown”.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith and all. Some followup questions please.

I’ve cloned the Manuscript (Courier) Appearance and added

#Ron Attempt for my markdown style
Text Titles:
  Level 1: "<$title>"
  Level 2: "<$title>"

With Convert To Basic Markdown and Titles Use Basic Markdown turned on, I get what seems like sensible tracking of folder and file levels (down to level 2, I’ve not tried beyond but it seems it’ll work.) If it won’t do what I imagine, treat the foregoing as a question. :slight_smile:

Often inside a chapter or whatever one might call the documents, I’ll use a lower level heading when I’m writing markdown directly, that is, I’ll just put in

Some Heading

directly. I can do this here, of course, and as long as I know what level I’m at, I’m a nephew of Bob.

If I format a line “Some Heading” as Header 1 or Header 2, however, those are just formatted with Some Heading, which I think is to be expected as the formats just apply whatever rich text look they represent. They are not semantic tags, just format painters. Am I understanding so far?

So my questions now are:

1. Does the foregoing sound like my understanding is in accord with reality?
  2. Is there a way to get an inlined subtopic (i.e. my ### Some Heading) to be semantially recognized like a sub-document Title would be?
  3. What would you folks recommend I do with things heading for markdown, if not what I seem to be doing as described here?

Thanks!

Keith, thanks! And it handles footnotes!

Problem born of my own ignorance… Solved.

You’ve done an amazing job, sir. This app is superb.

Plain text export in iOS is WONDERFUL, but I have one minor (from my standpoint, anyway) request.

When the export converts footnotes and places the in the bottom, there is a single return separating each one. Markdown parsers don’t recognize this break, so I go in and add an extra return to create a blank line between each footnote. This is NOT a huge deal, but was wondering if it would be possible to get these extra returns to be inserted in the export at some point in the future.