Feature Request - Paste as Mind Map

I have been with L&L using Scrivener for some time. Naturally it made sense to also get a license for Scapple. But, Scapple has not been very useful for me. I have an app, Curio, that also creates Mind Maps, and Lists, and many other things. It is not at all fair to compare what Curio can do with what Scapple was designed to do.

With that said, what Curio does do well and what I wish that Scapple could also do, is to have the option to paste in text as a mind map. I don’t see this in Scapple. When I want to create in Scapple, I must go box - by box - by box - by box - etc.

This is fine for what it does. However, I find that I outline better when writing my outline out in an outline format, that is, a list format. Then, when I can convert that list into a mind map either by pasting it as a mind map or being able to convert a list of text into a mind map, I have a visual representation of my outline and at the same time, I have the outline. This is something that Curio does well.

I am not wishing to knock how Scapple does things. I am suggesting that, if you are already working in an outline, if you could paste that outline into a Scapple mind map, then you would already be way ahead of the game. You could still build your ideas one - by - one - by … etc, in Scapple AFTER you started out by pasting in what you already have.

Moved to a better forum.

You can just drag and drop from a Scrivener Binder to a Scapple document: you’ll get the titles and synopses for the dragged items. Is that the sort of thing you’re looking for?

Katherine

Strictly speaking, no. I just tried with an outline that I pasted into a Scrivener page. That outline was created in a Nisus (word processor) document. All this will do is create a single note with the outline in it - but all at the same level with no indents recognized.

I now realize that this is also beyond Curios capabilities as Curio will only recognize tabbed lines and cannot interpret RTF line indents. Apparently this is also true in Scrivener?

In your example, dragging in a binder item from Scrivener, it only gives a single note and not a mind map object - or several objects from what you have dragged in. In fairness, this was from the example mentioned where i had a Nisus outline in a single Scrivener document. Dragging that, even though it was in outline format, only gave the single note.

I think you meant to drag more than one Binder items and yes, that does yield individual items. I suppose if this is a feature in Scrivener and Scapple then I will have to study this more.

What this method does not do is help me to see in Scrivener where, when in a single note where I have several items that I want to include in an outline. In such cases, in Scrivener, I am forced to make each and every thought a new binder item. Seems a bit more than I want to do but, I am still learning how the Scrivener writing environment is meant to work.

Thanks.

Yes, sorry, you need to drag more than one Binder item to get more than one note.

Now, you could create an outline in Nisus Pro, use Scrivener’s Import and Split command to split that into multiple Binder items, and then drag those items to Scapple to get multiple notes. I agree that might be a bit complex.

But if you drag in a file, rather than text, Scapple will offer to split it into notes at the delimiter you specify. See Section 9.1.1 in the Scapple manual.

Katherine