Feature request - resampling images

Hi …

Firstly, let me say that I love this product (both actually). As a visual thinker, I love the ability to layout all of my material on the infinite canvas that Scapple offers. This allows me to structure my ideas, and work with them, until I’m ready to print, which takes the form of an A0 colour plot.

The only issue I find in working with Scapple, and I accept that this might be the way I’m using the product, is when I’ve got a lots of images on a mural, the application starts to slow down.

Q: Is there a way of resampling the images at the size I’ve made them with my mural? I’m assuming that the application performance is a function of the ‘weight’ of images it’s trying to process as I move about.

Thanks again!

There isn’t a way of editing graphics inside of Scapple, or to open images from within the board and edit them using a graphics editing tool. Your best approach will probably be to use the File ▸ Export ▸ Images… menu command, where you can then bulk resize them down to something more compressed and physically smaller, then integrate them back into the file.

Large images definitely will slow down saving and loading if enough of them are used. So it is best to make them only as large as you need them to be, before including them in the board.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the software!

Hi,
I’ve just started using Scapple for working on some artbooks, and this was the first issue I came across too. I tend to work with large image files, and after dragging a few into my file I had to go searching the forums to find out why the program had ground to a halt.

I’m trying to work out a feasible system where I can resize my (thousands of) working files to get around this problem, but I’ll second the feature request for the ability to resample images that are dragged into Scapple. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Ian

You could bulk resize your images using Graphic Converter … or perhaps other apps though GC is the one I’ve been using for years.

Mark

Performing the actual conversion isn’t a problem - I’ve got plenty of programs for that - but it’s just another layer getting in the way of the immediacy of working with Scapple.

It would be nice just to drag in an image as the inspiration takes me. :slight_smile:

But at present I am having go through my hundreds of organised folders, selecting the images I think I’ll need, batch converting them into a ‘Scapple Assets’ folder (as duplicating smaller variants of my working files in their original locations will just cause more confusion), and then starting work in Scapple.

An option to resample images on import, or a ‘Reduce filesize’ option would save me a huge amount of work and make my process much more spontaneous.

All the best,
Ian

Does Scapple convert images to bitmaps? I just dragged in a 500kb image from a web page, and the scapple filesize increased by 8.1mb! :astonished:

Any ideas of how to get around this problem (apart from having to resize all my images first)?

Many thanks,
Ian

The Mac image drag and drop handler is fond of converting images to TIFF format internally. For better results, try saving the file instead, and then dragging the file into Scapple (general Mac tip: it is nearly always better to drag files into container formats—the Mac “Pasted Graphic.tif” behaviour is only good if it truly does not matter what state the pixels are stored in, or how efficiently).

Furthermore, try opening your Scapple document in a plain-text editor. See all that random gibberish? That’s your image. Since this is a text file it must decoded into plain old text, which is inefficient.

Thanks, I will try that.