Feature Requests for Scriv 4/next 3 update

All the issues that I hoped would be fixed or added as features in Scriv 3 I guess I shall just have to hope for Scriv 4, or maybe a 3 update?

As mentioned in last thread, I’d love a proper full screen mode that gets rid of the eye-sore unchangeably white windows bar at the top of the screen with the file address in. This isn’t needed. Please give us the option to display without it, like most other softwares now do - it renders dark mode (another must of contemporary softwares) pretty redundant.

I’d love to be able to view snapshots in quick reference windows, like they are able to be viewed in copyholder. I currently view them in the inspector, but it means dragging it out which is a pain, and makes the rest of the inspector (card summary at top) ridiculously wide.

PDF display still isn’t working.

I’d like a hotkey function to ‘reveal in other editor’ similar to reveal in binder. This is because I am often working on a scene in a 2nd editor window, with the corkboard in the 1st (I don’t use binder if I can help it). Then I forget which scene I’m working on, and in order to check I have to click on a card in corkboard and just guess. Then if I guessed wrongly, I have to then click around to find my scene again. A reveal in other editor function would just be a very convenient function to aid navigation.

It would be nice to be able to drag a card, in corkboard, into card group. Currently, if you want to do that you can only do it in binder.

I use different layouts a lot. They are currently bit buried in top menu for my liking, and would much prefer if they were accessible from the editor window footer. I’d also like to be able to rename my layout names.

Finally, it would be great for me if there wer an option to shrink the cards in corkboard to 5x1, instead of the current smallest 5x2. This was the cas e in Scriv 2 and worked brilliantly for me. I used it to view my entire script in one page, which you cannot easily do if the cards are 5x2, and certainly not in the binder. Please bring this function back.

Otherwise, still love the app. Thanks.

1 Like

All the issues that I hoped would be fixed or added as features in Scriv 3 I guess I shall just have to hope for Scriv 4, or maybe a 3 update?

Scrivener 3 is still a work in progress, and will be for some time. We triaged a number of planned for features in order to get the bulk of the work published, but that doesn’t mean we’re done and stepping away from the project forever. On top of that there are piles of small missing details and bugs to fix.

It would be nice to be able to drag a card, in corkboard, into card group. Currently, if you want to do that you can only do it in binder.

You need to enable Allow drop ons in corkboard, in the Behaviors: Dragging & Dropping settings tab.

I’d love to be able to view snapshots in quick reference windows, like they are able to be viewed in copyholder. I currently view them in the inspector, but it means dragging it out which is a pain, and makes the rest of the inspector (card summary at top) ridiculously wide.

Just to make sure we’re on the same page, if you right-click on a snapshot and select “View on Copyholder” it should open over in the main editor as a separate pane. If you wish, you can right-click in the smaller copyholder header bar and position it above or below the main editor to take advantage of its full width.

Secondarily, although it should be listed in the right-click menu, you can also right-click in the main editor’s header bar icon and select a snapshot to show on the other editor, splitting the view if necessary. That’s of course the same as drag and drop of a snapshot into an editor header bar—but you may find it more convenient as you don’t even have to open the inspector and switch to the correct tab to do so.

So this does not require expanding the width of the inspector. The preview pane below the snapshot list is not a “copyholder” view.

PDF display still isn’t working.

Sorry, I’d need more information for that one. It works fine for me.

I’d like a hotkey function to ‘reveal in other editor’ similar to reveal in binder.

There won’t be a hotkey for it, but yes that is a planned feature for the editor header bar icon menu.

I use different layouts a lot. They are currently bit buried in top menu for my liking, and would much prefer if they were accessible from the editor window footer. I’d also like to be able to rename my layout names.

If you use the main toolbar, you will find them located blue window shaped icon on the far left (by default), it’s a simple click and drag on the downward arrow to select between them, as well as other useful window management functions.

That aside, I tend to use the shortcut that brings up the layout management window as I find that more convenient, and always hide the toolbar anyway. By default that is Ctrl+) or what is Ctrl+Shift+0 on my keyboard. Use the arrow keys to select, and hit Enter to use the layout. Here is also where you can revise and rename them. Full documentation on the management window is in §12.3.4, Managing Layouts.

Finally, it would be great for me if there wer an option to shrink the cards in corkboard to 5x1, instead of the current smallest 5x2.

This was removed because it caused drawing glitches in new layout. I don’t see any reason for why it would be permanently removed, and in the original specification it states we should support it if we can.

2 Likes

Hi Amber,

Ace, thanks for explaining all that.

The corkboard drag and drop worked great, thanks.

The snapshot view as ‘quick reference’ function is still desirable for me, because viewing it as copyholder in another editor mucks up my UI layout, as I want to maintain my usual split editor of one text window and one corckboard window. I don’t want to disturb that or split it in half, because if I do, I then have to reorganise it by opening the binder again, selecting my ACTS one by one to appear in the other editor window, switch back to corkboard, probably resize again, etc. and would much prefer a simple pop-out of the snapshot as quick reference please.
I realise the pane below snapshot isn’t a copyholder, but that’s how I currently use it, just to have the snapshot as a reference. But would be ace if we could just pop that sucker out without disturbing UI.

The PDF Display simply does nothing. I navigate to it via the top menus, hold mouse over it, nothing. Click it, nothing.

Can we please have a hotkey for the reveal in other editor?

Thanks for the hotkey heads up for layout selection. That’s much better.

I do hope the thinner 5x1 corkboard cards come back, as it was SUPER useful to view the cards all on one screen (which is seldom possible with the bigger ones). Me and my team used it all the time and were gutted when it went.

Again, thanks for going through all that though.

Happy new year!

1 Like

So you are referring to the View ▸ PDF Display ▸ submenu and its functions. I still need more information to go on, everything works fine for me over here. They are documented in Appendix A.5, pg. 603.

That’s the one yeah.

Noting happens. No actions show up when moused over, nothing happens when clicked. It is just an empty/faulty menu.

THis was the same in last vers of Scriv and I remember being told it wasn’t working in that vers, known, but was going to work in this one. Keep in mind I am on Windows (I was told it worked on Mac, but not Windows).

This is what happens when I hover over it trying to select via menues:

Nothing.

My guess, given the disposition of the project window in the background, is that you aren’t viewing a PDF? I see a corkboard on the right and a pure black area on the left, which could be either a mostly empty outliner or text editor.

1 Like

Yeah, i see the same thing when there is no PDF in the editor. But you’ll see the controls active with a PDF. For example, navigate to the Tutorial project document Research > spacewalk_info, which contains a pdf.

Best,
Jim

Shouldn’t the menu item be disabled when no PDF is loaded in the editor? The sub menu not appearing is confusing.

1 Like

Yes, I agree. No sub-menu makes it seem like a software defect, while a grayed out sub-menu would provide more appropriate feedback that the options do not apply to the current content.

It absolutely should show a submenu full of greyed out items. That’s a filed bug, but it does all work fine if you’ve got a PDF in view.

1 Like

I didn’t think we could have PDFs in the Draft/Manuscript.

2 Likes

I don’t recall whether PDFs can be placed in Draft folder, but they can definitely be placed in non-Draft folders and viewed in the editor.

4 Likes

Ah Okay. Understood. Sorry , I thought it was a kind of PDF previewer mode or something. I get it now.

Thanks for explaining team.