Features I'd Like to See Implemented, If They're Possible

Well, for starters, I’d like to see (1) a “brightness” control for when dealing with images and editor textures. This would enable us to control, essentially, the gamma of our editor background textures/images, which especially in composition mode would really help sometimes, and would indeed broaden Scrivener’s range of support for which images that could be used for such things. Hey, even I we could ALSO control the gamma of pictures we paste in, or the brightness of PDFs in the Research folder, that’d be great, too.

Secondly, I’d like to see Scrivener compatible with either Javascript for Automation, or AppleScript. With an AppleScript dictionary of objects and actions big enough to, in the words of Fat Bastard (the Austin Powers villain), “choke a donkey!” Okay maybe I went a little overboard there, but you get the idea.

Thirdly, support for some sort of better page layout controls, perhaps even a WYSIWYG interface for this sort of thing, in Compile.

Fourthly — and this one is really big for me — in addition to Front Matter and Back Matter (which should include a rudimentary manuscript-or-folder-or-doc/group-indexing algorithm to go with it at the very least — so okay, part 4, part A…), I would like to see a Prologues section. That’s right — support for novelists who want to add Prologue or two or three to their book. (Heck, Greg Bear’s novel, Eon, has FOUR Prologues.) The reason I say this should be a separate section is because it would need to be formatted separately and maybe entirely even entirely differently than “ordinary” chapters, the first being that the word in use should be “Prologue” and not “Scene” or “Chapter.”

And finally, what I’d like to see is a movement to try and go backwards in terms of the User Interface. For instance — I liked the user interface for Scrivener 2.0 a lot better, (excluding the addition of the ever-useful Bookmarks feature!!) What I’m talking about, of course, is a move — especially in terms of the icons on the toolbar and everywhere else — to skeuomorphism. Yes, that’s right. I’m in favor of the dreaded Skeu word when it comes to my interfaces.

That’s all I can come up with for now. Scrivener is already so full of incredible features that it’s getting harder and harder to ask for features that don’t just feel like “extras” or “nice-to-haves!” So I think the logical thing to do is embrace that idea — now is the time to not work so hard on “core” features, but maybe some of those “nice to haves,” instead. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and one more thing: If we could just slide or d&d the page in Composition mode, instead of having a fixed number of positions for it, that would be great too. That and make the name generator more full featured and capable of supporting (without invoking the dreaded “character panel”) diacritics in names. But really, that’s all I can think of right now.

So, what keeps you from creating a Prologue Section Type with a Section Layout of any design you like?

1 Like

Skeuomorphism is an User Interface style that appeals to recognition of UI-elements based on real world examples, like a bookcase-looking interface for a library application.

Generally, these kind of interfaces are constricted to the opportunities these metaphors offer. They will never grow to the quality a truly digital online user interface could present the user.

Now, redesigning Scrivener’s interface using skeuomorphism would indeed be a step backwards.

1 Like

Well, actually, I work in music production, using a lot of plugins with incredibly skeuomorphic UX designs. And let me tell you – a knob that actually turns is infinitely more useful to me – and to me, far less limited, than a squiggle representing (maybe?) a waveform.