Features

I love the program and can’t wait until its full release. I was just wondering if it will have all the same features as version 2 for the Mac. eg: will there be a section for Character and Setting in the Binder?

That’s not even a technically a feature in 2.0. :slight_smile: What you are seeing there is just a special new function that lets you set up boilerplate or scaffolding documents with ease. Anything you toss into one of those “blue T” folders gets added to a menu beside “New Folder” and “New File”. In some of the templates that 2.0 ships with, some examples have been provided, such as character sheets—but these are, it must be emphasised, just RTF files like everything else in the binder. With a slight decrease in convenience, you can get the same effect right now by creating a “templates” folder in your binder and always duplicating out of it to create new documents. In fact, the NaNoWriMo starter project had just that mechanism employed.

That quibble aside, in answer to your larger question: yes. Though not immediately! The game plan is to get Windows up to 1.54, as close as is possible (and where reasonable to do so). Then, once that is accomplished and the code base is stable, 2.0 features will begin development. How long this will take is anyone’s guess. Probably not as long as 2.0 for the Mac took (two years) because much of that was design work. That’s the general answer, but in fact there are already some 2.0 level features in the Windows beta. If you go through point-by-point with the old 1.54 version for the Mac, you’ll find a number of improvements, mainly anything where it would be simpler to code for the final result, rather than to code an intermediate just for the sake of “being 1.54”. A good example is the compile interface. In the 1.54 Mac interface, this was a 3-tab affair that was a jumble of features that had been added over the years. 2.0 rehauled the entire thing, and changed it to a left sidebar navigation system, so panes could be swapped in and out depending on the target format. This improved design is already in place for the Windows version. Another good example is the level of integration between the view modes. That is all using the new 2.0 flowchart wherever possible, as it would have made no sense to code for the old method only to change it later on.

Thanks for that. I probably should have mentioned that I am completely new to the program and not a Mac person. I only saw it on a Mac yesterday day after mentioning the program to a friend who has a Mac and they then downloaded the trial version to have a look. That’s when I saw the two sections in the Binder that I wrongly assumed where extra features. I’ll now go and create my own templates as you suggested.

Understandable mistake to make, as the 2.0 version not only has the document template feature, but custom icons to boot—so without the knowledge of either of those features, it would appear very much like a dedicated thing.

But at any rate: welcome to club Scrivener, then. :slight_smile:

P.S. If you do use the NaNo templates as an example, make sure to check the tab stops. I’m not sure if it has been fixed, but in the initial release they somehow went from being left tab stops to right tab stops, so you’d end up typing in the wrong direction and get character names overlapping with the “Character Name” label and so on.

Thanks. I’ve decided, due to my novice level of knowledge of the program at this stage, to just create new folders. As I improve I will try your suggestions. Again, I’d just like to say I love the program and what I have been able to do with it so far.

Thanks, Scob.

And that’s perfectly fine. Scrivener is one of those rare applications that doesn’t punish you for growing up with it. The whole thing is so flexible, you can start out working one way, using only a few features, and end up working entirely different in the same project a year later with a book almost done, and hardly any time spent transitioning as you learned new ideas.