figure and table placeholders

not sure if this is possible but I am doing a PhD where I write something like “the results are in Figures 1 to 5” but with placeholders I get “Figures 1 to 2” even when I use unique names for the figures that follow the text. I think the counter operates independent of the name. Would it be possible to get what I require or will I always have to manually change? By the time I have made the 20th edit it becomes quite frustrating.

As an off topic note I use indesign to create my tables as scrivener does not do this well. However the RTF converter does not play nicely with the graphics when placed into Word 2011 or Word 2013 but does with Mellel. However the docx converter keeps the size correct but creates a blurred image. So in order to keep my supervisor happy I have to compilre in RTFopen in Mellel and then export to RTF and import to Word. Not sure why this happens other than there are some converter inconsistenxcies.

Are you using the referring code, with the hashmark? I’m wondering if perhaps you have a reference proceeding the actual figure, and so that is causing the counter to increment prematurely. For example, the following placeholder will not be calculated until a second sweep, after all figure numbers have been incremented:

<$n#figure:name_of_image>

The difference here is the “#” in use after the counter style, instead of another “:” character. The latter will always increment the counter the first time name_of_image is encountered, but the former, like I say, will not generate a number until the whole draft has been computed.

On the matter of images, are you resizing them in Scrivener so that they fit into the editor better visually? In general you wouldn’t want to do that as this will impact the export size. The picture itself should be untouched—we don’t shrink the pixels, but the word processor document will be requested to display it at the scale you set in the editor. For the best results, with pre-sized images, leave them alone after dropping them in.

You may find using image placeholder tags (§15.5.4, pg. 217 on in the user manual) more convenient if the graphics are very large and getting in the way of editing.

Another thing to check is the DPI of the images. Are they set up for print, or are they set up for screen display? If they are in the neighbourhood of 300 DPI, they will work better across the board. Low resolution images (72 to 100 DPI) may display better on screen, but can cause issues when moving between software designed for printing.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was not using the # but $n:figure:name so that should fix it.

On the indesign table issue no resizing just copy and paste - perhaps I need to chech indesign settings. However, resizing other images such as Statistica graphs does not have this effect - it is only the indesign tables. However, all Statistica graphs have to be rescaled as they import as 7999x7999 pixels because I set to 2400dpi.

Oh, sorry I misread that it was the graphics that were resizing. Tables may change their width depending on which RTF program they are opened in. This is something we have noticed as well. If you set the overall width in Scrivener, they may still come out too wide later on. With tables the best I can tell you is to treat them as your rough data. They will be exported as RTF tables (though how well that translates into InDesign I’m not sure), which can then be tidied up for final publication once you are done with Scrivener.

I should have been clearer - I export the indesign tables as graphics.

Cheers

Tim