File failed to open after reboot

Hello,

I last saved a Scrivener file and then restarted my mac. but now all the files except one fail to open. I don’t use it along with dropbox, which I should. Below is the auto message.

The project at “/Users/xiangfengyang/Documents/Dissertation/Drafts/China-chapters.scriv” seems to be of an older format, but no binder.scrivproj file could be found inside it. It may be missing or corrupt, possibly because of a problem with the device on which it is stored, or because of a synchronisation problem.

Try ctrl-clicking on the project in the Finder and selecting “Show Package Contents”, then look for a file entitled ‘binder.scrivproj’. Ensure it has not been renamed by a backup routine. If it does not exist, try restoring from a backup.

I have previously saved my files in my last backup when my mac went to repair, but these old files can not open either because they are not writable. here is the prompt,

Scrivener does not support read-only projects. Check the permissions for this project in the Finder, and ensure that it is not stored on a read-only volume such as a disk image.

this is freaking me out because I have a lot of my time spent on these files. Please help as soon as you can.

Thank you

Yang

PS:

after ctrl-clicking the project, I see a with .scrivx suffix. within the file folder there is a file binder.autosave and search.indexes, which were apparently created when I last saved the project. There is also binder.backup, which may be created when I last opened it after reboot. There is other stuff in it but not sure it’s relevant.

I don’t know if it’s of any help, but what I had a few weeks ago, is that I had two .scriv files in my project directory, because dropbox noticed a syncing difference and decided to create a copy.

Those two .scriv files then prevented scrivener to load my project, even though I only loaded the original one. After deleting the superfluous file all worked well again.

Good luck!

binder.scrivproj is the 1.x format - if it is asking for that, then there must be another file missing which is causing Scrivener to think that this is a 1.x file rather than a 2.x one. The best thing to do is to zip up the project and send it to us at mac.support At literatureandlatte DOT com so that we can take a look.

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

I just sent you the files. Hope to hear from you soon.

Yang