File has been lost - please help

Hi – I’ve been using Scrivener for a while now and have been very happy with it, but tonight I had a major hick-up and I’m hoping someone can help me. After backing up my file and getting ready to exit, I noticed a file in my project that I didn’t remember. I clicked on it and it turned out to be a version of my project from about a month and a half ago. I don’t remember creating it but there it was. When I tried to bring up my newer file again I couldn’t find it. The file I had just backed up was still there - with the correct date - but when I opened it it seemed to have reverted to the earlier file as if the new file had been copied over.

If I can’t recover the most recent file I’ve lost quite a bit of work. I’m not the most computer literate person so if anyone out there can suggest something that would get those files back for me I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much,
David

Hi - I wrote the original message here but the crisis is over. After I wrote that request for help I went back to trying to recover my files and a message popped up that Scrivener had stopped working. After rebooting and playing around a little bit the missing file suddenly showed up. Don’t know what I did to lose it, or what I did to get it back, but life is good again.

Thanks.