File naming in the package

del

Or, you could just use “Export Files”, which will export all of your files with their filenames (or add a number if there is more than one document with the same name), and maintain the directory structure that you create within Scrivener. This is always going to be the prefereable option. The RTFD files are used inside the .scriv package so that no document needs to be affected if it doesn’t need to be, which keeps things safe. The only time you would ever need to access these would be if Scrivener fouled up your project completely. At that point, you would probably think, “Well, I’m not using that program again, but at least I have all my text still available, even if it is going to be a chore to import it somewhere else…” So, the files inside the .scriv package are just an extra safety precaution to make you feel safe. Even in SG, although you kept the file names, you lost the structure.

del

In an absolute worst case scenario, where Scrivener is no longer developed for whatever reason, and the current version no longer works with Mac OS 12 or whatever, given its open format, somebody with the knowedge to do it could write a simple script that goes through a Scrivener project and reconstructs structure and naming. Afterall, Scrivener itself uses nothing outside of the Project bundle to do all of the organisation it does.