File won't open

I’m unable to open a particular file in Scrivener. Other Scrivener files will open, but this one will not. No error message given; but the program simply doesn’t respond when I try to open the file either through direct click on the file name; or through using “Open” or “Recent Projects” under File.

Rebooted computer but that didn’t help.

Also, did Command-I on the file and it shows the file is there and has a size (348 kb) …

Any advice?

Also, is it possible to extract text through another text program? Just tried to through BB Edit and no luck.

This sounds like it could be a corrupt file. Open up the console (~/Applications/Utilities/Console.app) and see if there are any errors being generated when you try to open the file.

Extracting text is easy - just ctrl-click on the file in the Finder and select “Show Package Contents” to view the internals of the .scriv file. The text files are all stored as .rtfd files, which can just be opened in TextEdit.

Let me know what you find, though - and also, if you can think of anything that might have happened to this project, that would be helpful.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks for your response. When I try to open the file this is the response in the console box:

CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
/CAAF at play/CAAF, novelist/AlexAndBabette/A_B.scriv/binder.scrivproj
The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.

2009-07-08 13:49:26.990 Scrivener[246] *** -[NSKeyedUnarchiver initForReadingWithData:]: incomprehensible archive (0x62, 0x75, 0x69, 0x6c, 0x64, 0x69, 0x6e, 0x67)

Also, I’ve been trying to think of what I could have done with the file yesterday that might have altered it, and the only thing I can think of is that I started a new chapter (using “Add” button). But I’ve started other chapters in this file before and not had this problem.

Yep, that’s a corrupted file by the looks of the Console log. That would indicate that it was somehow interrupted during saving or something, but even then there are failsafes. Strange. If you send the file (zip it up first) to me at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com I can restore most of it (excepting the structure) using Scrivener 2.0’s new “Import Scrivener Project” feature.
All the best,
Keith

Keith, yes, I think it might have been just one of those weird things. Thanks for the offer to restore, but I had a back-up file and was able to retrieve most of what wasn’t covered there with the rtf files so I should be okay. But I appreciate the prompt help and troubleshooting advice! It’s very calming to know you guys are here.

No problem. In version 2.0 Scrivener makes an internal back up of the binder file whenever you open a project, so that if something horrible like this does happen, it can always resort to the backup and flag up files that have been created since then for the user to sort out. This way, a project should never get into an un-openable state (I hope).
All the best,
Keith