Files missing when saving to a flashdrive

Hello,

I have done some web searches as well as hunting around this forum to see if anyone is having a similar issue. I couldn’t find anything, but thought I’d ask anyway. So, I do backups for my Scrivener files. I use an external and I back up everything to that a few times a year, I also have a flashdrive that I put just my novel/writing project files on. Except, when I go to save my scrivener projects to the flashdrive, it says that there is a file that cannot be saved and it happens to be the actual Scrivener project file. It saves all the other folders and files, but not that one, of ANY of the Scrivener projects I have. It was fine with the external drive and it isn’t a matter of space. This is a 16 GB flashdrive and it still has 14 GB left, so I am at a loss. I am assuming it might have to do with something with the flashdrive itself, but I am unsure how to proceed from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi Shewolf,

There are probably a dozen different ways to do it, so can you please describe exactly how you are doing your Scrivener backup?

I just copy all the Scrivener files to the device. It’s mostly to make sure I have backup copies in other places beside my computer.

It sounds like you are trying to copy your actual Scrivener .scriv project folders, and that the projects are all closed, so Scrivener itself does not have them locked. If that is the case, I don’t have an answer to your specific question of why the copy to flash drive is not working.

That said, IMO there is a better way to back up your Scrivener projects, and that is to use Scrivener’s own backup tools.

If you aren’t clear on what those are, have a look at section 7.11 “Backing Up Your Work” and Appendix B9 “Backup” and B12 “Saving” in the Scrivener manual. (With Scrivener, “Backup” and “Saving” are completely different things.)

My suggestion would be for you to have Scrivener configured to: backup to zipped files on your hard drive, keep the 25 most recent (at least), use date in the backup names, and create a backup when you close the project. Be sure not to leave the project open for days at a time. Best practice is to close Scrivener at the end of each writing session, so that you will have a backup made. Then when you regularly backup to your flash drive, you should copy the latest zipped backups to the flash drive (instead of your actual .scriv project files). This method will take up less space on your flash drive, will simplify the copy process (only one zipped file per project), and will ensure that you have Scrivener taking regular backups of your work, in the event disaster strikes.

Sorry for not finding a direct solution to your question, but hopefully that helps.
Jim

Thanks for the info! I haven’t had a chance to really get on the computer. When i do, I’ll mess around with things. Thanks again ^^

I was wondering if the saving to a flash drive worked out for you. I had the same issue and used a long cut to get it done. Exported everything to word and from there saved to flash drive. Would like to find a simpler way. Vern

The back up seems to work. I export to Word as well but that’s because I also print out notes and things.