Filtered view in binder

Is it possible to filter the view in binder by status? I would like to hide entries in Research that are “Done”.

The binder is an outline view. Filtering can only be done via searching and presenting the search results. In which case, you would have to set it to search by label and then enter all of the other statuses in the search field, excluding “done”.

Note that it would be technically tricky - from both a developer’s and a user’s perspective - to filter any outline view or table view that allows for drag and drop, as drop targets would no longer be valid (this is why drag and drop only works in Ulysses when you have the browser set to be sorted arbitrarily, for instance).

Best,
Keith

You could make a new top-level folder and call it ‘finished research’, then drag stuff into it from ‘research’ as you finish the items. That way you can expand and collapse the active and finished items independantly.

Keith,

I will keep that in mind :wink:

Maria

:question: I meant, because it’s an outline view (as opposed to a sortable table view), with subdocuments and draggable contents, filtering is a lot more complicated…

del

I should make a distinction here: the binder is not an outliner, but it is an outline view. These are different things. An NSOutlineView in Cocoa (“outline view”) is a view that has disclosure triangles revealing a structure that is not found in a flat “table view”. An “outliner” is a type of view such as you find in OmniOutliner or the outliner in Scrivener, which allows you several columns and control over various information. The distinction is kind of arbitrary, because the Cocoa outline view can be used to create an “outliner” (and is, in the case of Scrivener’s outliner), but it can also be used in a more limited way (such as in most “tree” views in Cocoa apps, including Scrivener’s binder).

To be honest, I’m not sure what you mean by “meta-data panels” and moving them either side of the binder…

And as for the “Ulysses way of doing things” - Scrivener certainly took some inspiration from the wonderful Ulysses, but this set-up was well-established long before Blue-Tec entered the scene (Z-Write, to mention just one of many).

Best,
Keith

del

The binder on the right of the inspector??? Eek! I don’t like that idea, sorry… And as for the idea of it being a user-setting: I can only say that it took a good few weeks of development just to get the various split views working with each other (binder, editor panes, inspector) as it is, so I’m sure you’ll understand if a baulk at such an idea. :slight_smile:

The current set up is more natural, I think - it goes from macro, to micro, to, um, nano. That is to say, on the left there is the binder (project level), which controls which document you have open. To the right of that, you have the main part of the document that is selected. To the right of that, you have the meta-data - the tiny bits of data that you don’t even need to display all of the time. Any other order is weird, I think. And I say this after much thought - in my original designs for such a program, the binder was in fact on the right. At the time, I thought that having the text on the left made sense as it placed the most important part of the work area in the place most left-to-right readers will assign the most significance. But after playing with an early incarnation of this design (back then, it was called “Hemingway”, after Hemingway’s famous quote about first drafts), I realised that it felt unintuitive. So may programs have their browser on the left - iTunes, iWeb, iPhoto, Ulysses, Mori, Montage and so forth, that placing it anywhere else is going to feel incongruent…

Anyway, blah blah blah - I’m waffling now. Hope you see what I mean. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

P.S. And thanks for the compliments on the new beta!

del

I have to agree with Kevin, the binder on the right would just be creepy. Almost as creepy as knowing Scrivener was once called Hemingway. pew…pew…blech!

E.

del

To be sure, I’m all for flexibility; my workflow is as idiosyncratic as anybody’s and far be it for me to try and limit someone’s options, however I understand why Keith might want to keep the interface uniform in this case; if only from a support point of view. Too much freedom is no freedom at all.

Cheers,

E.

Ah, I see the evil twin “Kevin” has sneaked back into the forums… :blush:

Haha. Brett is right. I’m afraid Kevin may be following Keith around for a while, since he seems to have ingrained himself in people’s minds. So much so I myself never even noticed until brett pointed it out!

Just thought I’d add a little extra creepiness for Kev.
E :slight_smile: