Final Draft 9 compatibility

Do Scrivener for Mac and the new Final Draft 9 play nice? (I have the current Scrivener, whichever version that is.)

I draft everything in Scrivener, then export to Final Draft 8 to pass around script fomat stuff. Will I have to do any extra work? Does Scrivener need an upgrade to talk with Final Draft 9? (There’s a new FD9 native format, but I don’t know if it’s really any different from the old one.)

Thanks for any replies.

Arthur

They should work fine. I have the Final Draft FDX specs and as far as I can see, there is nothing in there that should affect Scrivener’s export.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks, Keith. I’ve got a 40-page re-write due next week, so I’ll take 'em out for a spin & let you know of any issues.

Arthur

Just to let you know that I’ve double-checked and there are no issues whatsoever. The Final Draft 9 FDX file format only has very minor changes, and none of them affect Scrivener (they affect Final Draft features that Scrivener doesn’t support anyway, such as cast lists).

To me, this is a very good argument for NOT upgrading.
My FD 8 files open and save fine under Mavericks.
Plus, the upgrade price is $99 and that’s too / I think.

Upgrade price from version 8 to 9 is (rounded) US$80 for a download, or US$95 if you want the physical CD media.

I thought the few minor improvements (I really like the full page editor (Not as much as I like Scrivener’s, though!) and the color coding of characters and revisions. (If you want to muck about under the hood, you can set differential colors for as small as one line changed, though most will leave it at the default of a scene.) I sit in on a lot of table reads, and I can’t begin to tell you how many times I’ve heard an actor mutter, “Oh, is it my turn?”) were worth the money, but I can understand how others would not agree.

Regards,
Arthur