Final Draft (.fdx) Export Error?

So I’m not 100% certain this is a totally Scrivener-related error, but I figured I’d bring it up. (Also, getting tech support from FD is like pulling teeth)

I bounced my screenplay formatted Scrivener project over to FD for further work, and ended up with something really odd: Hitting return out of a character heading no longer takes me into dialogue. Instead it takes me to action. The only way I’ve found to “solve” the problem is to copy/paste into everything into a new FD file.

The only time I’ve gotten this to happen is with Scriv files, which is why I’m assuming it’s maybe an error in the way Scriv outputs the FDX file.

Figured I’d bring it up. It’s not a show-stopper by any means, given that I’m not trying to go back and forth.

Hi,

Two things to check:

1. Take a look at your script settings in Scrivener (Text > Scriptwriting > Script Settings). Is the Character element there set to go to Action on return? I assume not, but it’s worth checking.

2. If all else fails, in Preferences, under General, you can choose to use Final Draft’s default formatting for FDX export. This will only send the text over to FDX formatting and not any of the element formatting information, which should at least avoid the issue.

Unfortunately I can’t test this myself at the moment. I have installed updates to the developer version of Snow Leopard a couple of times, and each time forgot to deactivate my copy of Final Draft, which means that it is now refusing activation and I can’t phone to re-activate for another eight hours given the difference between British Summer Time and Pacific Time…

Let me know how you get on.

All the best,
Keith

Using the default formatting seems to solve the problem. Doesn’t seem to have much effect on the import either. I’m sure there’s something going on under the hood, but it works for me, so I’m happy. :smiley: