Find by Formatting problem

Hi,

I’m new here, have been using Scrivener for a while, but now I have come up against an organisational problem, I thought some of you old hands may be able to help:

Is there a way to get a search result that shows me a link to all the instances where I have highlighted a piece of text? I know that I can step through the highlighted sections using Find by Formatting, but I would like a list where I can randomly move between all the sections and save the selections of text. I looked at the smart searches, but they won’t allow this.

If this isn’t possible, does anyone have advice on how to mark sections of text so that I can do a smart search for them and keep them in a list?

Thanks in advance,

Fiver

There is a way to search for formatting, including highlights, but it is a step-by-step search tool, not something that will collect results together into a pseudo-editor with links. Is the highlighted text something you need for output? I ask because probably the best tool for this is either inline annotations or sidebar comments. Annotations can all be collected into a single document with the File/Export/Comments & Annotations... tool. However as you can probably guess, these tools are mainly meant for internal comments, not material you want to output. There are ways around that, but if you employ those methods then you won’t be able to use those tools for actual comments as well. It’s an all or nothing thing.

Hey AmberV,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have found a workaround using Scrivener Links. It’s not perfect, but I can see that there is no way to do what I want, i.e. collect sections of text documents together in a search window without splitting up the text files into more chunks.

Thanks again.

Fiver

It’s something we have on the list to look at in the future, yes.