First edit of the day is always a long pause

I open Scrivener, read some of yesterday’s work, get a brainwave and begin editing, but I’m immediatley and always thwarted by a spinning beach ball like the program really isn’t awake yet, not ready to work, just playing like it is. What’s going on with this? :imp:

It is ordinary for there to be a small pause when you start typing for the first time in a new session, but by ordinary I mean something more along the lines of a half-second, if that. This type of pause doesn’t matter too much, since everything you type will “catch up” once the text editor is fully online. Is this not like what you are seeing?

The “sleep” thing might be true depending on your OS X version. To save battery power, programs do go into a kind of background hibernation if they haven’t been used in a while. This ordinarily shouldn’t cause any kind of delay, and it wouldn’t be applicable if by opening Scrivener, you mean launching it rather than just switching to it after having it in the background for a while.

Need to know your OS version and computer model.

I have an old iMac from 2007 and get this with every app when I start in the morning.

MacBook Pro 13" 2.26 GhZ Intel Core 2 Duo (2008 I think)
5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 Memor
System 10.9.5

(5Gb ?? I don’t think that config is possible ?)

Anyway that explains it. I was on Mavericks until Yosemite came out. It is definitely a system thing and not a Scriveners thing imho. Every time I begin a session on an application after a boot up, the cursor beach balls for about 5-8 seconds. Same thing when I right click for the first time.
With my iMac I also get delays when accessing the finder though an app … like using save_as. But once that is done once, it all settles.

I assure you this configuration is possible. But I think you might be right about it being the OS.

Admission: I confused MacPro with iMac :mrgreen: