First-line Indentation

(As always, sorry if this has come up before, tried to search the forum but couldn’t find what I was looking for…)

In a published novel, first lines are indented — except for the very first line of a block (i.e. after a new chapter or blank line or section divider (or whatever the appropriate word would be :slight_smile: ))
While I’m sure it’s just me missing something, I can’t find out how to do this in Scrivener.

Interestingly, I get the impression that the program “intends” to do this, as there are in fact two paragraphs visible in the Compile dialog (under formatting, in the “preview box” at the bottom).
It surely feels as if these two paragraphs, independently selectable as they are, imply that you could choose one indentation for the first paragraph (representing the first one in a block) and then another one for the other (representing every non-first paragraph in a block, i.e. every subsequent paragraph until next split or double blank line or whatever).
But this doesn’t seem to work as I expect, as changing one paragraph changes the other one accordingly…

My questions, then:

1. Is there another way to remove first line indents from first-of-a-block lines? Or is the Compile dialog the place to do it, only I’m doing it wrong?
  2. Is there a specific reason for the two paragraphs in the preview box? If only for visualizing changes, then: Is there a reason why one can place the cursor inside either one of the the two paragraphs, or to select words and paragrahphs separately, even though it seems that format changes formats won’t care about my selection but just affect the entire box?

When searching the Scrivener manual I realize that the manual follows this convention too, at least to a degree, and that first-of-a-block lines (with some exceptions) are not indented just the way I want. So while I can’t really find any info on how to achieve this I guess it is doable after all — and that quite possibly I’m just lost in the settings jungle…

So: Am I totally missing something here?

On a side note, let me just add how happy I am with Scrivener, and how it keeps impressing me by being stable and well-written and… well, just smoothly running, letting me do my job. Coming from screenwriting software such as you-know-which and its competitor (both of them incidentally market-leading and industry-standard — and bug-ridden beyond belief) I feel like I’m just coming out of a bad relationship and realizing how things should be… :slight_smile:

Keep it up, and thanks for any help,

/L.

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. The two paragraphs are there so that you can see the inter-paragraph line spacing.

As for the first paragraph indent (which does indeed come up a lot :slight_smile: ), you need to tick “Remove first paragraph indents” and select an option below it in the “Options” sheet of the “Formatting” pane of Compile (i.e. click on “Options…” in the Formatting pane).

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith