First line indentation

I haven’t been able to find a way to automatically remove line indents from the first line of each paragraph. Is there a way to do this?

Hi Kasper

On the Mac version I use, I set (remove) the first line indent by showing the ruler and making the adjustments I want.

[attachment=0]zz 2013-01-30 at 12.32.06.png[/attachment]

Same on Windows? Just select all the text and then adjust the ruler settings as you want.

BW

Mac

If you want to remove the first line indent and make that the default for new documents, you can go to the Editor tab of Tools > Options… and use the ruler there to adjust the sample text. Click OK to apply the changes and close the Options. Your new defaults will apply to all new documents you create (in any project) and you can change existing documents to match by selecting them in the binder (Ctrl- or Shift-click to select multiple) and then choosing Documents > Convert > Formatting to Default Text Style.

In the Mac version, the settings for the default formatting are in the Formatting tab of Scrivener > Preferences, but it’s otherwise the same.

Also, both in Mac and Windows, you can remove the indents during the compile phase without having to change the documents in the project. I’m not sure whether you were wanting this in the editor while writing or just for the final output, but either is possible. To remove them during compile, click the blue arrow button to the right of the “Format As” pop-up in compile and click the Formatting tab, then select the document type and level you want to adjust the formatting for and click the “Modify” button to bring up the sample text with a format bar and ruler for adjustments.

Thank you for your replies.

The problem is, I only want to remove the indent of the first line in every paragraph. Just like in books:

This is the first line…
But this line has an indent.
And so does this.

It seems that there is an option to do this on compile-time on mac, so it seems strange that this feature is not available on PC (unfortunately it makes the program unusable to me, since I don’t want to sit and remove indents manually every time I compile).

I think what you want can be done in the compile process, but it’s not straightforward.

In the compile box, click on the Formatting selection on the left. Make sure Override Text and Notes Formatting box is check, then edit the appropriate text level. When you complete the compile, it should remove the indentation. You might have to fiddle with the various settings for a while to figure it out, but if you keep at it you’ll eventually get it.

That’s what we were explaining how to do. You mean that you want to remove the first-line indent from the beginning paragraph of each chapter or section or such? This is an option in the Mac version, as you note, and will come to the Windows version as the program continues to develop on that platform. It is a more advanced option, only added to the Mac version in a later 2.x update, and while I agree it’s nice, I don’t think it’s really something that would kill the program–that is, if the other features and abilities of Scrivener aren’t outweighing not having this, then Scrivener probably isn’t the droid you’re looking for. Its purpose is to provide flexible tools to help you structure and write your piece; in most cases, final formatting will be done in another program, be it Word, InDesign, or something else. As the compiler gains more options and power, it will be possible to get much closer to finished within Scrivener, but Scrivener’s aim is not to be a layout manager and for more advanced formatting it may always be necessary to do the final tweaks elsewhere.

That said, dealing with the indents doesn’t really need to be any more complicated than in a word processor. If you handle all your formatting right in the editor anyway, so that the way it looks there is the way you want it to come out, you can just deselect the “override text and notes formatting” option in the Formatting tab of compile. Then you just need to set your indents when you’re writing, the same as you’d do in Word. Ctrl-T and Shift-Ctrl-T will adjust the first-line indent, Ctrl-Q and Shift-Ctrl-Q will adjust the overhang. You can also use the ruler in the editor of course, but if you like to make the adjustments while writing, the shortcuts may be handier.

Thank you. I’m looking forward to the feature in the Windows version. Until then I’ll set them manually and deselect the “override text and notes formatting” option.