First line no ident

I can’t see how to do this.

I understand about setting rulers in formatting but there’s no first line indent tab, so that’s not it.

I’ve searched the forums but I see references to things that I can’t find in my version (which I downloaded today).

(I’m really not stupid - I’m a techie by trade and I’ve used dozens of different WPs and text editors over the years, and I understand why Scrivener leaves most formatting until compile time.)

If you’re mean the default paragraph indentation, you can configure this and other default formatting by going to the Tools menu, and then Options, or just pressing F12. In the Options, click on Editor. At the top of that dialog is a mini-text window where you can apply various kinds of formatting to create Default Main Text Attributes, e.g., setting the paragraph indentation to 0. Changes made here will apply to all new documents in every project.

Note that this does apply only to new documents. To reformat existing ones, select the text to be reformatted and then go to the Documents menu and then Convert > Formatting to Default Text Style. You’ll get a dialog with a few options to choose. Pressing OK will apply the default settings you created in Options to the text, including changing the paragraph indentations.

But the non-indented first par is indented when you compile to Docx.

No, because that applies to every paragraph, I mean having no indent on the first paragraph of a file but indentation on all the others. It’s a very common (almost universal) style.

Like this (I’m using periods to indicate the indent because multiple whitespace is suppressed):

[i]Chapter X

Praesent sapien massa, convallis a pellentesque nec, egestas non nisi. Nulla quis lorem ut libero malesuada feugiat. Vivamus magna justo, lacinia eget consectetur sed, convallis at tellus.

…Nulla quis lorem ut libero malesuada feugiat. Mauris blandit aliquet elit, eget tincidunt nibh pulvinar a. Donec sollicitudin molestie malesuada.

…“Nulla quis lorem ut libero malesuada feugiat,” Mauris blandit aliquet elit, eget tincidunt nibh pulvinar a. Donec sollicitudin molestie malesuada.[/i]

And so on.

True.

On the Mac, first paragraph indents can be removed during compile.
Compile > Formatting > Options

Same on Windows?

[attachment=0]Format Options.png[/attachment]

Which explains why I’m reading stuff which says “oh yes that’s easy do this…” and getting confused, because no, it’s not on the Windows version.

Ah, I see. My bad. If you’re talking about changing the indentation at compile, rather than using rulers to change indentations while writing, then apparently that’s not available yet for Windows. Sorry for the misunderstanding.