First time user--Need Help

I just started using Scrivener. I would like to save my characters and settings as one PDF file. Is there a quick way to do this? To save all of them together in one file that I can then save to Google Docs?

Hi and welcome. Supposing your characters and settings are all text documents, you should be able to do something like this by compiling a collection. Select all your character and settings documents in the binder by Ctrl-clicking and then select Documents > Add to Collection > New Collection. The binder will switch to showing you just these documents in a new tab, ready for you to give the collection a name. Then you can go to File > Compile and select that collection to compile into a single document by clicking the blue arrow button to the right of the Format As drop-down menu and then selecting that collection name from the drop-down menu at the top of the Contents tab. You probably just want to choose the “Original” preset from the Format As menu (this will keep formatting to a minimum, basically giving you the same look you have in the editor) and then just choose PDF from the Compile For menu. If you want to include the document binder titles in the compiled PDF, go to the Formatting tab and tick the boxes in the “Title” column.

In the project window, you can switch back to the regular binder by clicking the “Binder” tab at the top of the binder, by selecting it via View > Collections, or by clicking the circled “x” in the binder footer. (You can do this before compiling; it doesn’t prevent you from selecting the collection as the compile group whenever you go to do that.) To close the tabs at the top of the binder, deselect View > Collections > Show Collections or click the Collections main toolbar icon, the tabbed folder to the right of the ring binder.

ok i just installed the program but when asked where i wanted it to go i said desktop now everything is on my desktop and i cant move it do i have to uninstall it and reinstall? :frowning:

Yes, you’ll need to uninstall then reinstall. On the reinstall, just let it install to the program files folder that it defaults to - the installation will create a shortcut on your desktop, but the other files will be hidden away in your program files folder.

I’m a completely technically backward writer and am using Scrivener on trial.

No matter, it should still work for me even if I don’t understand the more complex hieroglyphics and miss out on more complex functions.

But importing web pages, images or text, simply doesn’t work. It just don’t. No, says Scrivener, I’m struggling to import EVERY webpage. In every given format for importing - plain text, pdf etc.

“No more switching between multiple applications to refer to research files: keep all of your background material—images, PDF files, movies, web pages, sound files—right inside Scrivener. And unlike other programs that only let you view one document at a time, in Scrivener you can split the editor to view research in one pane while composing your text right alongside it in another. Transcribe an interview or conversation, make notes on an image or article, or just refer back to another chapter, all without leaving the document you’re working on.”

This promise only appears to be true with a lot of effort and tech know-how which I don’t possess.

I accept that Scrivener is essentially a writer’s draft programme, but then this promise shouldn’t be made so glibly, n’est-ce pas?

Nothing in the promise above prepares you for the very likely possibility that you simply won’t be able to import web page material if you’re not a fairly advanced techno individual. SAD AND DISAPPOINTED

PS I’m not referring to the split function. I can do that quite easily. Only the importing of web page material.

For Zita:

I hesitate to advise a Windows user, but I’ll tell you what happens on a Mac.
The Draft folder holds only RTF files, the text pages of your writing project.
Exception: it will import and convert DOC or DOCX into RTF files.
The Research folder is for RTF, DOC, DOCX, PDF, JPG, URLs, etc.

Two ways to import:

1. drag and drop files to the Research folder or sub-folder.
  2. use the File: Import: Files command to import folders or selected files
  3. For web pages, use the File: Import: Web Pages

Personally, I always use the drag-drop method for accurate placement