flag for follow up

Is there a way to insert a hidden marker at a point in the text where you want to return to maybe add a name or some other detail that you don’t feel like looking up at the moment? By hidden I mean the flag/marker wouldn’t appear in print if you forgot to go back and remove it. And then maybe you could “list markers” or “list flags,” so you could go see all your markers at once and go back and fix them at the same time? That would be a lot less clumsy than searching on <<>> or the equiv, which is what I think people do now. I searched help and this forum but didn’t turn up a good match for my question.

Thx.

One way of doing this is to use an inline annotation. Inline annotations can get stripped during Compile. So, you could insert an inline annotation saying “<<CHECK!>>” or suchlike. You can then using the Formatting Finder (Find by Formatting in Edit > Find) to look for inline annotations containing the text "<<CHECK!>>. Or you could use project search to search for “<<CHECK!>>” of course.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Yes, there are two different tools for making editorial marks to your document in a safe fashion, both in the Format menu:

• Inline Annotations (Shift-Cmd-A): just think of a red pen. You write directly in the editor with red text (by default, you can change that if you find it too flashy). Anything inside the bubble will be omitted from the compile by default, and it won’t be counted by the Project/Project Statistics tool. It will be counted in the footer bar, but you can also click on the stats in the footer bar to see a count without annotations—probably not an issue if you only use it sporadically for markers. Annotations are also a great way to “soft delete” passages from a section without removing them from their original context.
  • Linked Comments (Shift-Cmd-8): a bit like Word’s margin notes, except you can always see them from anywhere in the document, instead of only when you are on the same page. Clicking on them in the sidebar will scroll to them. Clicking on the highlight in the editor will do the inverse, opening the inspector to the correct pane first, if necessary.

I tend to use both of these tools quite a lot for different things, but I use the latter for markers, as I like how I can run a project search for my markers and get a list of everything that has such a mark, and in a format that is easy to jump from one result to the next with the Footnotes & Comments inspector open. Basically you search for “<<>>” or whatever, then click the “Search Results” header in the sidebar. This will load the results in the main editor. Switch to Scrivenings mode, and then open the Footnotes & Comments inspector—now you have a full list of all editorial markings that you can click on to jump to the right spot. I use this for TODOs, reminders, etc.

Thanks. That’s very helpful, and I will probably use both of these.

I get a little overwhelmed by the search returns sometimes. I think I finally figured out how to make it just search within a file instead of the whole thing (and then you can’t tell if it returned a phrase from a previous draft or what… it’s just one big long list). But switching to Scrivenings view might make the experience more Word-like, right? Where you just go to the nearest return, then click next and next etc. That’s how I like it. :slight_smile: But <<>> seems clumsy to me. I like the idea of hidden notations better.

Thanks again.

Yeah, basically it would make it more “Word-like”, where all of the text of the chapter can be scrolled through at once. In this case, viewing all of your search results for this type of thing might in fact return a bizarre sequence of texts if you were to try and read through it all! But, really the only reason we would turn that mode on is so you can view all of the comment markers in the sidebar at once, from the entire draft. At that point we are using the associated text in the main editor (disjointed though it may be as a sum) as a useful context for each comment you click on, as it will be scrolled to the spot where you left it to reveal the highlighted text.

If you don’t want that level of search, then yes, just pop open the Footnotes & Comments sidebar and click on the comment with the marker you wish to view. You don’t need a special search if all you’re looking for is the marker in the same document you’re working on. This feature is a way of making a bookmark to a certain scroll position in the document.

As for getting results from old revisions of sections, since I already know you use the “Include in Compile” checkbox :slight_smile: you can actually add that to your search term. Click on the magnifying glass and note the two checkmarks toward the bottom. Disable “Search ‘Excluded’ Documents”. Now anything you’ve marked as being excluded fom compile will be ignored in the search. Only markers from the approved parts of the binder will be used.

You may also note there is an option to constrain the search to only your Draft folder. That can be useful when you want to exclude all background info and research.

Anyway, lots of ways to fine-tune that tool and make it more useful overall.