Float Quickreference Panels & Full Screen mode

While in full screen mode, if I have the Window->Float Quickreference Panels toggled on, QR panels open on another, non-fullscreen desktop. I imagine that this is a Mavericks bug, but I wanted to draw your attention to it anyway. Turning off the float toggle, fixes the issue, except now they get hidden under the fullscreen scrivener window when they don’t have the focus.

Similarly, bringing up the Preferences window switches to another desktop too.

Release version 2.5, Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks)

I’m not seeing this - you mean in regular full screen mode (not Compose mode)? Can you please post the exact steps to reproduce the issue?
Thanks,
Keith

How odd. I checked this on another user account on my computer, and this buggy behavior does not present itself there. I even exported all of my main account’s Scrivener preferences, and then loaded them to the mostly pristine account’s Scrivener setup. Still everything works as it should on that account.

So it looks as if something about my setup is off kilter. I’d like to try wiping out all of my Scrivener settings on my main account and then reload them from the exported file to see if that fixes things. How would I go about that (I know how to get to my ~/Library folder, just not where all the Scrivener settings are)? Also, are there any bits of Scrivener’s behavior or settings that won’t survive (and is there a way to preserve them too?) If there’s a knowledge base article for this, and I’m just being too obtuse to find it, feel free to just link that.

The main settings are found here:

~/Library/Preferences/com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist
~/Library/Application Support/Scrivener

You shouldn’t really need to delete anything from Application Support/Scrivener, though, as that doesn’t affect UI and just holds things like templates. The .plist file in the Preferences folder is the main one you want to delete. If you delete that, all of your preferences will be gone, though, so first you will most likely want to export your preferences using the “Manage…” button in the Preferences pane. You can then re-import them after you’ve tested.

Also, if it only affects one project, try deleting the ui.plist from inside /Files/Settings inside the .scriv package itself (I’m pretty sure you already know how to get into the file package :slight_smile: ).

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Keith. I had already done the following as you answered. I even tried the ui.plist with one project (Settings/ isn’t under Files/, btw), but that didn’t have any effect, as I suspected, since the problem manifests in every project I’ve tried.

I must have been really tired yesterday, because it was really easy this morning to find a number of likely files. These are the ones I found:

find ~/Library -iname “literature” -o -iname “scrivener” | egrep -v “DEVONthink|Safari|scapple|reederapp|iStatPro”
/Users/rguthrie/Library/Application Support/Scrivener
/Users/rguthrie/Library/Caches/com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2
/Users/rguthrie/Library/Colors/Scrivener.clr
/Users/rguthrie/Library/PDF Services/Save PDF to Scrivener
/Users/rguthrie/Library/Preferences/com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.plist
/Users/rguthrie/Library/Saved Application State/com.literatureandlatte.scrivener2.savedState

Unfortunately, eliminating those files and folders didn’t affect the aberrant behavior. Which means that I get to troubleshoot everything I’m running or have ran under this user id. Or I guess I could wipe my whole Library folder and then set everything back up. (Whee!). Blech. :frowning:

Thanks for your help.

Ah-HA! I figured it out! :mrgreen:

In the dock settings for Scrivener, if you have it assigned to “This Desktop” (I have two), then when in full screen mode, pop-ups like QR panels and the Preferences dialogue will open on that desktop. Closing that window will not return you to the full screen Scrivener session. By selecting “None” in the Dock’s options for Scrivener, the pop-up windows open over the full-screen session, as they did previously.

I tested this with Devonthink and Safari, neither of which exhibit this behavior.

How do you do this?

If you bring up “Mission Control” ( I have the 4-finger swiped up gesture assigned to it in the trackpad preferences), you’ll see a desktop with your windows in a tiny representation, and larger representation of those application windows below. If you have one or more apps in full-screen mode, they will be represented along the top as well. If you move your mouse near the right of the screen, even with that row of tiny desktops, another will slide in from the side. Click on that, and you get another desktop.

With an extra desktop at your disposal, you can drag apps from one to another. Do that with a non-full-screen’d Scrivener window and then click into that desktop. Then CTRL-click on the scrivener icon in the dock and go to Options in the pop-up menu to get to the option to keep the app on that desktop.

I hope that was clear. It’s so much easier to do than to explain. :confused:

P.S. This was working prior to my upgrade to 2.5 & Mavericks. I didn’t use Scriv 2.5 much prior to upgrading to Mavericks, so I don’t know if this behavior is specific to 10.9, or if it happens in 10.8 as well.

Robert, thanks for that. I had the loading apps into specific desktops working under 10.7, couldn’t find out/forgot how to do it under 10.8 or 10.9, so I had apps that I had replaced opening on top of each other on whatever desktop was open. So I can now go back to having my apps opening in assigned desktops.

It works under 10.9. I don’t know about your QR issue though as my use of Scrivener is still elementary, and I have never had to use such floating panels.

:slight_smile:

The same thing happens to my Preferences pop-over window. Does it float over your full-screen scrivener window, or does it appear on the desktop that you set scrivener to be “kept” on?

I think I have the same question. I use multiple desktops. I don’t want to assign Scrivener to just one, because I use it constantly, and different projects are grouped with other materials on a specific desktop. The different Scrivener windows stay on the correct desktops, which is great. But when I open a QR popup and then (for whatever reason) change desktops, the QR popup moves to the new window. The main Scrivener screen stays where it is. It’s a minor annoyance, but it happens a lot, in my practice. Is there a way to make the QR popup “stick” to the main screen?

I think the only way is to set Scrivener QR windows to stay put is to assign scrivener to one desktop. But if you do that and use full screen, then QR and other floating windows (Preferences, for instance) will switch to the assigned desktop instead of staying with the FS Scrivener session. It’s frustrating, but perhaps an adjustment to how you use Spaces? Like letting each screen have its own space? There are a number of combinations to this situation, and I don’t know that there’s anything to be done on the Scrivener programming side of things to make it better–It’s Apple’s implementation of Spaces & Full Screen that’s at fault here, I believe.