Folder Icons (new user)

Hi, I’m checking out the demo of Scrivener and am really impressed. I’m not a writer, per se, but I like the organizational tools in Scrivener. I might use it to organize website copy, functionality, user manuals, etc.

My question may be very simple but I can’t find the reason for the different folder icons, as represented by the orange & red circles. I went through the tutorial file but couldn’t find the answer. Please see the picture below. Thanks!

Also, when I create a new folder and place text files inside of it, the icon is a just a standard folder, without the extra icons to the right of the folder, as pictured below.

Welcome to the boards! Documents (defined as either a folder or a file, in Scrivener) have three different basic states which are represented in the Binder as icons.

1. They can be entirely empty. Folders look like ordinary folders in the Finder; files look like blank sheets of paper. These are the types of folders you are seeing in your new project. Until you actually type text into the folder it will look blank.
  2. They can have their synopsis card filled it. Folders get a small index card overlay, which is what you are seeing in the orange circle. Files will just look like an index card at that point.
  3. They have text entered into them. This state overrides all others, and it looks like a sheet of paper with words on it, either as the whole icon, or an overlay over the folder as in the red circle. This state overrides the second state. If a document has both text and a synopsis, it will be indicated as having text.

The reason for that order of precedence is that many use the outliner to build a skeleton structure, and then type into index cards to flesh things out and describe what will happen, then finally start writing in the specific parts of the outline. Thus the icons work as a bit of a status indicator.

Incidentally there is one other type of icon you might come across. Since folders and files are basically identical, you can also stash documents inside other documents. When you do that, the icon will change into a representation of a stack of papers, and it will change according to the three guidelines above as well.

Here is some more information on this topic, from the FAQ

Great description…I get it now :smiley:

I’m not sure if Scrivener is the best fit for what I’m trying to do but I’ll keep playing with it. I like how all the files can be compiled into one draft. Thanks for your help!

No problem, and if you have any questions regarding the usage of Scrivener for web publishing, feel free to check out the tips & tricks, and zen sections. There are a number of people that use Scrivener as a pre-processor for web work, and some compile straight out to HTML formats, either by using the built-in RTF to HTML converter, or the MMD workflow (which is probably familiar if you’ve ever used a blogging type engine that supports Markdown). The next version will have additional tools and options that will greatly enhance its web publishing workflow. I’m not sure how much of that has been made public, so I’ll just leave it at that.