Folder Name for Specific Page in Scrivener

Is there a way from within Scrivener to identify the 40 character (think it’s that long) gobbledygook folder created for a specific page in a project’s Data folder?
I could do it by focussing on the Data folder, sort it by modified date, invoke a save to a page I’m working on in Scrivener by moving the space bar and save, but I was thinking of the other way around.
Why do I need it? Well I have a few pages with many links that reference another project that I’ve renamed. I’d like to bulk rename the changed reference in their respective Contents files in the long string folders with a simple find and replace using something like Atom Text Editor that sees the underlying hyperlinks instead of their user friendly name.

Hey. :slight_smile:

If what you mean is that you want to rename these,
image

– DON’T –

[To anyone reading this and doesn’t know: DO NOT PLAY WITH THESE FILES.]


Otherwise, you can locate a file like this :

Right click the document in the binder,

Paste the link anywhere. You get the corresponding folder’s id.

1 Like

Thanks.
You’re going to laugh at this, I’ve recently been using that very command, but pasting the result into Ctrl+Shift+L links to documents outside of Scrivener. As they say, “There’s none so blind as those who do not see.” :upside_down_face:
No, I’ll be changing pages of hyperlink references in those folders’ Contents files. For example, in your URL string your file is called TESTING and you might rename the file EXPERIMENTING affecting all your hyperlinks looking for TESTING, and you might have a Scrivener page of 70 such links. The text editor I found can do a find and replace of TESTING with EXPERIMENTING within all those hyperlink URLs per page in a nano second.

1 Like

In the Country of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King.

1 Like

Of course, someone might have found a RegEx to “look under the hood” so to speak of hyperlinks in Scrivener to do the find and replace there.
Any volunteers?

You are making it a bit harder than you need to, in my opinion. If you know which files have the bad links, throw them into a collection. Then set up external folder sync to produce copies of the data to the file system. There is an option there to only sync what is in a particular collection, or if you aren’t sure, just sync everything and use your text editor’s multi-file search and replace to sort it out. Sync the fixed RTF data back in, and there you go.

Of course, someone might have found a RegEx to “look under the hood” so to speak of hyperlinks in Scrivener to do the find and replace there.

One of the advantages of using markup to write is that everything is text, and thus everything can be searched for and replaced. With rich text your italics aren’t something a text find tool can see. Your links don’t exist either. It doesn’t matter how complicated your text find syntax is, you can’t magic what does not exist into being with wildcards.

One solution is to spend inordinate amounts of time building a complex search engine that can see formatting, but given how few tools can do anything like that should give you an idea of how much work that is.

The other alternative is to edit the raw file if you can, because at that point you’ve gone back to the markup approach (albeit with syntax unlikely to be something anyone would want to actually write with), and now any text editor can fix it.

1 Like

Here’s an example of a partial list of characters. The names all have underlying URL info to a Scrivener Project for characters and other resources common to a series.

The destination file is called Alisha Khatri Series Resource Book.scriv.
If I change the destination file to Alisha Khatri Series Bible.scriv, all links to the destination file die.
I’ve identified the Windows folder in which the Contents.rtf file lies for the Characters page.
I edit the Contents.rtf file with Atom through File Explorer.
It shows me the following, allowing me to Find and Replace in Buffer:

It takes one transaction, a matter of the blinking of an eye to rename all Resource Book occurrences to Bible in one shot. And I don’t need to learn markdown to do it.

When done, the links all work again.