Font colour in editor and composition mode

Hello all. I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn’t find an answer and yet it seems like such a simple question: how do I change the default font colour of the editor and composition mode, without changing the actual text colour of the document?

I have read posts from years ago that say the font colour of the editor can only be changed by changing the font colour of the text itself, but this makes no sense if you are working on a document both during the day and night: the whole document has to be changed to fit the change in theme. Furthermore, there is an option in Preferences → Appearance → Composition Mode to change text colour, but this seems only to change the colour of footnote links in the editor, rather than all of the text (see screenshot attached). Can it really be that Scrivener supports light/dark themes, but not a change of colour to contrast against the dark background? I really hope I’m missing something (and I’m sure it’s obvious when I’m told!).

You can override the text colour in Compose using Preferences > Appearance > Composition Mode > Colors > Text > Override text colour with colour (and choose the colour). (The only reason this wouldn’t work would be if you were using the Big Sur beta, which you don’t mention.)

All the best,
Keith

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your reply. I am indeed using the Big Sur beta - what a very weird incompatibility. Is this an issue with Scrivener or Big Sur and, are you aware of it being in the pipeline to be fixed?

That explains it. And yes, it’s a known issue - Apple changed the name of the function that I override to change the text colour, meaning that it doesn’t get called on Big Sur. I have a version of Scrivener optimised for Big Sur (with a fix for this included) nearly ready to go, and which I hope to release around the same time as Apple releases Big Sur.

All the best,
Keith

Wonderful! That’s very good to read, and thank you for addressing it so quickly.

And, whilst you’re here reading this: nice piece of software!