Font Conversion

I am using Scrivener 2.5 Mac
Much of my work with Scrivener involves copying text from documents in Scrivener’s Research folders and pasting into my documents within Scrivener’s Draft folders.
Research documents contain various font families and font sizes, most all of which differ from the font type and size of my draft document.
Is it possible to have selected text automatically converted to the font of the draft document into which it is pasted?
In its most recent version 4, Circus Ponies Notebook has such an option in Preferences/Clipping - Convert to the default font. However, it doesn’t work.
Such a preference in Scrivener would save me a lot of time.

Note that you can always paste text using the existing format of the target area where you are pasting with the Edit/Paste and Match Style command. Also consider that you can batch fix files with Documents/Convert/Convert Formatting to Default Text Style. This method is slightly less aggressive, as it will respect inline formatting such as italics. Rather than running it repeatedly, you could make it something you do at the end of the day, or when you know a collection of snippets is “complete”.

I have been using both methods.
The first method you mention is best when many small snippets from different research files are being added to a draft document - throughout a session it maintains a consistent look to the draft document.
I use the second method for the occasional copying of larger amounts of text.
Perhaps a preference for automatic font conversion will become available in some future Scrivener version or update.

I wouldn’t hold my breath for that to change. Most people expect their formatting to be respected when pasting into rich text environments. There are exceptions, such as plain-text editors and fringe programs like LyX, but I think for most people, if they lost the formatting in their WIP when trying out Scrivener for the first time, they would un-install the demo and try the next tool. :slight_smile:

So, basically that already exists. In most cases, you really don’t have to worry about your fonts so much. Make a mess! Just write. That’s one of the design goals of the software, and has been since day one. When you compile, the formatting can be automatically cleaned up and made uniform and professional looking with the Formatting compile pane. Some people prefer the more familiar approach of WYSIWYG, but just know that the option exists. If you want to write in a more comfortable font, please do so—or not have to worry about whether every single paragraph in the entire book is using identical settings.