Font editor is no longer available

A couple days ago I clicked on the ‘font’ icon in my toolbar and, for the first time, it failed to launch the font editor, which allows me to change both font type and size, along with showing me my presets. Also, now when i go to the menu and click ‘Text’ > ‘Show Fonts’, it does not spawn the font editor. Based on these issues, there is no way to change a font. I can, however, still use the ‘Bigger’ and ‘Smaller’ (font) icons in the toolbar, but they do not enable me to pinpoint the font size. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Are you able to adjust the font via the formatting bar?

Yes, I am able to adjust the font using the formatting bar by clicking on ‘Styles’ > bold / italics / default / etc.

I am also able to modify the text (bold and italics) using Apple key + B and Apple key + i.

Sorry, another question–which version of Scrivener are you using? 2.0 has the format bar that shows font family, typeface, and size, and I was thinking of that, but I just realized if you’re using 1.54 you don’t have those options.

In fact, now that I pay attention and see you said Text>Show Fonts I’m going to assume you are in fact on 1.54. Whoops, sorry! Hmm.

You are correct that I am using 1.54.

I heard of this happening once before and it turned out to be a global bug on the user’s system - which makes sense seeing as the font panel is handled by OS X and not Scrivener itself. Try opening TextEdit and hit cmd-T - do you have the same problem there?
Thanks,
Keith

No problem with TextEdit. I opened it and hit cmd-T and it spawned the font editor window. All fonts were present and accounted for.

What happens if you quit and restart Scrivener? Also, if you open Console.app from ~/Applications/Utilities, do you see any errors pertaining to Scrivener output there?
Thanks,
Keith

When I quit and restart Scrivener there is no change regarding this issue.

I opened Console.app and the only mention of Scrivener was two words listed once: “Scrivener Help”

Let’s rule out a corrupt preferences file. Please navigate to ~/Library/Preferences in the Finder (where the tilde represents your home folder), locate the file entitled com.literatureandlatte.scrivener.plist, and move it to the Trash (while Scrivener is closed). Then fire up Scrivener again - note that you will be prompted to re-enter your registration details as this process will wipe them (drop David a line on contact@literatureandlatte.com if you need them re-sending out). See if this clears the issue.

All the best,
Keith

Deleting the .plist worked! The font editor is working again. Thanks.

Excellent support! Each posted response was methodical in how it sorted through the list of potential issues.

Thanks.

Glad it helped, and thanks for the kind words!
All the best,
Keith