Font size problem: Part 2

A week or so ago I posted the following:
I made a duplicate of a Scrivener project and gave it a new name. Now, when I add a new sub-folder/chapter to the main folder, the font size is quite a bit bigger than in the existing (duplicated) chapters. I checked Preferences, but I don’t see any difference between the settings in the new chapter compared to the settings of original project before duplication. The font size is fine in the existing sub-folders/chapters of the duplicated work. The problem happens when opening a new chapter. What can I do to retain the original font size in new chapters? Or is duplicating a project the wrong way to go about making a project copy so that I can retain the original project?

In response to the above, AmberV kindly suggested I check the footer bar % amount. And sure enough, when I changed this, I changed the font size of my new work to what I thought was the same size as the original text size. But now I’ve added a couple of chapters to the original work, I see there is a difference in font size no matter what I do with the footer bar or with Preference settings. In fact, I can’t change the original text spacing to fit my new spacing. I had be using a return after each paragraph to create a blank line. Now I want to remove these blank lines to make the spacing the same as the new work, but cannot.

Is there a way to re-save everything so I can start again so that original and fresh chapters are the same according to whatever preference settings I choose?

Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:13 pm

Duplicating a project (presumably by a copy and paste in the Finder) should be a fine way of doing things. And seeing as the text zoom etc is saved within the project itself, this really shouldn’t be affected, so I’m not sure it is.

Just to double-check, are you sure the font size is different and not zoomed? (Opening the font panel - cmd-T - will show you which font is used.)

You could always zip up both the original and the copy and send them to me at support AT literatureandlatte DOT com, and I’ll take a look (so long as they aren’t too big).

All the best,
Keith

First, make sure you have familiarised yourself with the concepts in this FAQ answer.

If you have followed the instructions there (or already were) and things still are not responding, yes there is a way to get your information from one project to another. I would try it in a descending order of destructiveness.

First method: Create a new blank project and open it alongside the malfunctioning one. Click anywhere in the Binder and press Cmd-A, now drag everything over to the new project’s Binder. You’ll have to do a little arrangement to get these items organised into the Draft and Research folders, but all of your work will be saved except for labels and status.

Second method: Use the export (not compile) feature to dump all of your documents out to the Finder in a folder hierarchy. To do this effectively, select everything in the Binder again, and press the RightArrow key to close everything. Now without doing anything, use [b]File/Export/Export Files[/b] and save them to a handy location on your hard drive. Use of RTFD with both meta-data and notes export will retain the most data, though you’ll have to re-integrate everything in the new project as it will put everything into separate documents.

If you have used annotations extensively, you may wish to also export them using this menu as well. While they will be exported in the source text, they’ll be embedded as regular text, albeit coloured as you had them in the project. A separate list of notes will help you find them and turn them back into annotations.

Third Method: If that doesn’t work, then you might be having some difficulties with the RTF format itself. I’d say this would be awfully rare and that I’ve never heard of anything like it, but you never know. So in this case follow the same steps as in the second method, except use [b]Plain Text[/b] as the document format. You’ll lose all of your italics and so forth, but there will be no possible way for any weird bugs to be transmitted within the files themselves.

If after all of that you are still have problems, then I might suggest something is wonky with your preferences in Scrivener. The best thing to do would be to follow these instructions.

Update on Preview: Yes, “Method Zero” would be what Keith suggests. Make sure it is closed first! That would eliminate any chance of zooming peculiarities.

I used the Convert Formatting as suggested by AmberV and everything looks good now.
Thanks very much and I hope there will be no Part 3 to bother you with.