Fonts in editor window and fullscreen?

Hi all,

I’ve been using the Windows version of Scrivener off and on for about a year, but now I’m starting to get a little more serious with it. And I have what seems like a simple question, but for the life of me–despite extensive searching of the menus and the manual, and despite usually being able to figure out software–I cannot see how to do this. Hopefully somebody can help.

How do I set up different fonts and font styles for the editor window and the fullscreen mode?

Example: I’m working on a novel. Sometimes I use the regular editor window, and sometimes I prefer fullscreen. When writing in the editor, I like to have it like a traditional word processor–white background, black text, 12-point serif font (usually Georgia). But in fullscreen, I’m more comfortable with a dark texture for a background (usually an astronomy photo), white text, and an 18-point sans-serif font such as Ariel or Calibri.

But no matter what I do, Scrivener doesn’t seem to want me to have two different fonts or styles. It wants me to use ONE font, ONE color, and ONE size, for BOTH environments.

This makes no sense to me. Why even give me the fullscreen mode in the first place, if I can’t set it up so that I’m comfortable?

I have trouble believing that L&L wouldn’t have thought of this, but I canNOT figure out how to do it. (I could insert some scolding about the general nonintuitiveness of the Appearance options, but I won’t.)

So, any ideas? Please help!

b.

It’s not possible to change the font and size used in the different editors, given the way the text system works, but you can set up different default colours for the regular editor and the full screen editor in the Colors section of the Appearance tab in Tools > Options. You’ll see there both “Editor” and “Full Screen” listed, with a “Text” option under each to set the colour. The font colour you set here will be used when there is no specific colour applied to the text–e.g. if you select a range of text in either editor and then set its colour to red, it will remain red in both editors. Sometimes text copied or imported from other programs will be set to black, so if this is your default colour in the main editor you may not notice. If it’s still showing black when you go to full screen, and you have a different default text colour set there, try selecting the text and choosing Text Color > Remove Color from the right-click context menu. That should let you work the way you want.

Although you can’t change the actual text size, you can set a different zoom level for the full screen editor by dropping your mouse to the bottom of the screen to call up the control panel there; zoom is on the left side, and your setting will be remembered for the project.

Well, I did finally figure out the zoom in the fullscreen editor, and I also found that the problem with the color had to do with the way I was importing files. And I seem to have settled on a font that works in both situations, though I’d still prefer to have a serif font in the regular editor and sans in fullscreen. I think I have a setup that will work, though.

I presume the reason there can be only one font is because the choice is kept in the RTF file? To me, it would make more sense to have everything stored in plaintext and then apply formatting decisions on the fly whenever an environment is loaded. That would allow for the kind of flexibility I’m wanting–and, come to think of it, you could let people create a variety of environments (font, size, color, margins, etc.) and then switch between them as they please. It would be useful for people who work with multiple devices with different screen sizes and aspect ratios. There’d be a small performance hit, but I think it’d be worth it for the additional flexibility.

Anyway. I seem to have found an acceptable compromise. Thanks for your time.

b.