Footnote and Hyperlink Conflict

I’m going through the final edit on my book now and running into an issue I haven’t been able to resolve and can’t find any discussions on it. I have a number of hyperlinks in my book to websites including my own. They work fine as links in the ebook version of my title. However, in the print version, they just appear as underlined text. What I’m trying to do is provide footnotes with the url for the print edition.

So, I’m adding the link for the website first for the ebook version, then placing the cursor at the end of the linked words and making a footnote with the url for the print version. That puts a box around the last word. The problem is that in the final version what I end up with is a linked set of words where the last word in the set is NOT a link anymore, but just a footnote.

For example, if the linked words are my website name, Discovering Love Online, what ends up appearing is Discovering Love Online. I’m at a loss for how to remedy this.

I’m still awaiting a response on this post from over a week ago. The same issue applies to Scrivener 3.

The forums are for peer-level (with some occasional L&L staff) support – so probably, no one has answered since nobody is trying to do the same thing.

If you need official support, best to contact the support team via email where it can be tracked. The Contact page of the L&L website should have the correct email address.

Thanks, Devin. I guess that’s what I’ll need to do.

I’m a little confused by your description. It’s obviously not possible to create an actual working hyperlink in a printed document. So do you want the name of the book, followed by a URL?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, harrypotter.scholastic.com/sorcerers_stone/

Do you want just the title, underlined (or not)?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone.

The title, with the URL in a footnote?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone [1]

[1] harrypotter.scholastic.com/sorcerers_stone/

Or something else?

Katherine

Hmmm. A Harry Potter fan? Actually what I’m trying to accomplish is…

With the footnote reference…

[1] harrypotter.scholastic.com/sorcerers_stone/

to achieve a hyperlink for the digital book with a foot note reference for the printed book all in one. When I try and do that, I always lose the last word in the hyperlink due to the footnote and it appears as such…

Is there a way to do both without having separate chapters for each format?

How precisely are you creating the footnote? Are you using Inspector footnotes, or inline notes?

Katherine

I’ve been using inspector footnotes.

When you create the footnotes, do you do so with the footnote marker (Format > Formatting > Use Footnote Marker), or with that last word highlighted?

Mark

I place the cursor at the end of the last word and then click on the footnote icon in the button bar. It highlights the last word and adds a footnote to the inspector.

The problem you are running into is that you are trying to add two hyperlinks to one bit of text, which is impossible so one overrides the other. Linked footnotes are hyperlinks (to the footnote in the sidebar), as a rather technical detail based on how Scrivener works, but something to be aware of when trying to do things like this.

The solution is simple: use inline footnotes.

The settings referred to are found in the gear tab (general options) on the right side of compile overview. For the printed version we strip out all hyperlinks to keep the text clean of unwanted adornment, and with the ePub we strip out all footnotes since the clickable hyperlinks are good enough.

Thanks! That’s the exact information I needed. Enjoy the weekend!

Another option, if interested. Tested in iBooks.

• Compile to ePub
  • Load into iBooks
  • Click on footnote marker - takes you to endnote reference
  • Click on endnote hyperlink - takes you to Wikipedia

Test - Footnotes 3.scriv.zip (130 KB)

By the way, is there a way to “hide” inline footnotes for flow and readability when proofing a document?

Not in a dynamic fashion—we even had Apple look into that a few years ago and they said there was no safe way to do it without messing up undo.

In a temporary sense though, there is that Edit/Copy Special/Copy without Comments and Footnotes menu command (Shift-Opt-Cmd-C). You can dump that over into a “proofing” file you make in your binder, open it along side the original and use that like you would a PDF. And then there is that as well—I’ve always preferred proofing off of a document that is entirely different than the text I’ve been writing.

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I’ve been doing at several points along the way to completing my book, but I actually do most of my editorial “polishing” in Scrivener. Now that I’m using inline footnotes, it makes for a less distraction-free process.

It may or may not prove true for you, but I’ve been using inline notation for comments and footnotes since before version 1.0 of Scrivener, and my eyes just glide over them when I want them to. 8)