Footnote entries have multiple pages of un-deletable white space!

I have one text document in my Scrivener project in which almost all of the footnote entries (but not all of them) have several pages’ worth of white space underneath the text, for some unknown reason. I can’t select the white space–the cursor moves directly from final bit of text to the very bottom of the entry, skipping over all of the white space. If I press delete while the cursor is at the bottom of the entry, the cursor just moves back to the end of the text, skipping over the white space. The cursor moves around the white space as if it’s an image, except that I can’t select and delete it.

What is this white space and how do I get rid of it?

Actually I am now noticing that there seem to be hidden white spaces in the main text of this document as well. When I cut and paste paragraphs of text from this document into other documents–even without any of the weird footnotes–the new text file will have tons of white space at the bottom of the entry, which is similarly un-selectable and un-deletable. Argh!!

Space after ?

Select a chunk of a paragraph that is doing this, then :

My guess is an invisible table from the source material. View → Text Editing → Show Invisibles to see it, Format → Table → Remove Table to get rid of it.

2 Likes

Thanks–i tried this, but there is no extra spacing in the paragraph formatting :frowning:

Thanks–I tried this, but there’s no table there (nor any other formatting at all!) :frowning:

still stumped

Then try cutting one of those footnotes or paragraphs, and paste it right back using Paste and Match Style

(?)

Since you are on a Mac, you may also want to try Zap Gremlins

OMG that worked. thank you so much!

1 Like

An alternative to try is to select one of the footnotes, Cmd-A to select them all, Right-click (or Ctrl-click) and choose Convert to Default Formatting.

Basically, the same for paragraphs in the main text, except it’s Documents → Convert → Text to Default Formatting…

HTH

Mark

Here are some screenshots.

1. Select a footnote:

Cmd-A:

Right-click on one:

The Convert… will apply to them all. If you’re in Scrivenings mode, that will be all throughout your Draft/Manuscript.

:smiley:
Mark

1 Like

THanks! I tried this. the conversion changed the text, but did not do anything to the white space. I copied and pasted one of the paragraphs with this problem into a Word document, which revealed that the text is not regular paragraph text but inside an invisible table! I copied and pasted it to a new section of the document and then deleted the table. I don’t know how I could do that with all the instances of this problem in my Scrivener project, though. Is there a way?

I’m using the “paste and match style” function, which gets rid of the white space (and presumably the table) but i also lose my footnotes which is a drag.

Have you tried @kewms suggestion above for removing the table in Scrivener? If that works—and I don’t see why it shouldn’t—then you might be able to preserve the footnotes.

:smiley:
Mark

1 Like

oh wow, i tried this again and yes it does solve the problem. i hadn’t at first noticed the box around the text that indicates the table when I revealed the invisible formatting…now i see it and it’s everywhere, in literally dozens of my text files. i’m deleting them one by one.

how do I prevent this in the future? In some cases I’ve copied and pasted from different documents and web pages which is presumably where they came from, even though those originating files did not have tables in them!

Web pages often use tables for layout purposes.

Paste and Match Style often works. If it doesn’t, simply making sure Show Invisibles is on will at least let you see and fix the tables as you go rather than having a huge pile of them accumulate.

2 Likes