Footnote issues compiling to .docx

Hello fellow scriveners,

I recently compiled a project to .docx and then opened in Word 2010 to finalize formatting before sending to other people for feedback. During that process I decided to delete a footnote and came across a problem:

When a footnote is deleted, the numbers, in both the main text and the footnote section at the bottom of the page, are not renumbered to account for the deleted footnote. All numbering remains as is with a missing number where the deleted footnote used to be.

This is not a problem when I compile to RTF. If it weren’t for the fact that when I compile to RTF, Word’s ‘search for similarly formatted text’ feature is limited, I’d just go this route.

I’ve scoured MS Word forums for the past few hours and cannot find a solution/way to repair/reformat/update the footnotes. I’ve tried every suggestion even remotely related to footnote issues, including running several scripts in Macro that were recommended to folks with similar issues. Nothing will resolve the problem.

My final revisions involve implementing comments from other people working with the .docx, so I cannot simply resort to making changes to footnotes in Scrivener and then re-compile. Once compiled it needs to stay in Word for several more drafts and I’m sure the footnotes will be revised in that process.

I’m using Scrivener 1.9.0.0 and Windows 10

A little help from my friends?

Did you already try these steps to fix up the DOCX file? I have seen a case where that didn’t work immediately, but for whatever reason, beginning with the insertion point in the middle of the Word document and running through from there did get it working. So it might be worth trying the macro a few times, with different start points, just to see if that kicks it into gear.

I’m surprised you’re having trouble with RTF–is that just when Word’s got it open in “compatibility mode”, such that re-saving the RTF document in Word as a modern DOCX would allow you to use the feature? I haven’t seen it before, so I’m mostly just curious. You should be able to avoid the footnote issue in future and still compile straight to DOCX by switching converters, as explained at the top of the linked article.

In Word, have you tried selecting all text (ctrl-a) and hitting F9 to recompute all fields?

Thanks so much MimeticMouton. The steps provided in the link solved the problem entirely. I wish I had stumbled upon that solution during my initial search. Many hours would have been saved. I owe you one. No doubt, this has saved me hours inserting all of the footnotes manually–my plan until now.

The problem with compiling to .rtf and then re-saving in Word to .docx in order escape compatibility mode was that the right-click ‘Styles’ then ‘Select all text with similar formatting’ was not working properly even after the re-save to .docx. It would stop at certain symbols (e.g. ’ " - ) within each paragraph. For some reason, ‘select similar text’ only functions in the way I need it to when I compile to .docx. Your solution, however, has rendered this a non-issue because compiling to .docx is no longer a posing a problem for post-compile footnote revisions after changing the converter.

Thanks for the tip as well devinganger, I did try selecting all of the text and recomputing all fields using F9 with no success. This was suggested in a number of MS Word forums.

OK, it looks like I got a bit too excited.

The footnote issue is resolved, but right-click ‘Styles’ then ‘Select all text with similar formatting’ is not working properly when exported using the MS Office converter. It’s as if I exported using .rtf. It only selects text up until the point it meets the first of any number of symbols (e.g. ’ " - ) within each of the paragraphs in the document that have similarly formatted text. Basically, I rarely get more than the first sentence in each paragraph selected when I use this feature now. Even after I have re-saved to escape compatibility mode.

Any ideas?

Update: I opened the MS Word style inspector and it appears that text up until the symbol is formatted as: Plus: Times New Roman, (Symbol) Courier New, 12 pt. When I delete an apostrophe and proceed to type the font is also changing to Courier New momentarily. Is Scrivener compiling all symbols in Courier New despite my use of Times New Roman? This would explain the ‘select text with similar formatting issue’.

Update: the Macro provided at the link is resolving the footnote issue when compiling using the Scrivener converter to .docx, which doesn’t have the ‘select text with similar formatting issue’ that appears when using the Ms Office converter. This will work for me, but I’m surprised there isn’t a better solution.