Footnotes and Endnote after Export

Hi all together,

Maybe someone can help me, I am new to this forum, but not to Scrivener/Endnote.

I have a text with Endnote references like this {Smith, 1989 #9980, p. 4} in both my text AND my footnotes. I compile a RTF-file and go through Endnote->Tools->Format Paper and open the formatted paper in Word. All my references are converted into the right format, expect for the ones in the footnote.

Can someone help me with this?

Rose

Endnote and Scrivener don’t actually interact in any relational way; the references are just like placeholders that Endnote finds and replaces later in the workflow. So, this sounds as though it’s a problem on Endnote’s side of things.

Endnote has its own style for references in footnotes that differs from references in text, so you might have to look at how your endnote style does footnotes. Go to edit > output styles… > edit [your style], in there you can edit the way the references are formatted in the main text (citations) and in footnotes.

Thank you for the info.

I think the problem seems to lie somewhere else though. When I compile from Scrivener into .rtf and open the .rtf file the footnotes are not displayed anywhere. I think Endnote can only recognise and replace visible References, no matter where they are. Is there a way to export from Scrivener into .rtf and display the footnotes?

The footnotes should appear if you export to RTF … unless you open the file in Pages or TextEdit. I believe if you open it in the latter, the footnotes will be stripped, so no other word-processor will find them subsequently. Word should display them, Nisus definitely will, Mellel too I believe …

The problem I have is not with displaying them though…. That was just an observation. The question is how I can compile out of Scrivener in a way that Endnote can recognise the footnotes as well.

Anyone has any ideas?

Really? Footnotes aren’t displaying in your compiled document at all? If so then there’s your problem. Or are they displaying but not the references inside them? That would be odd, since endnote references are just passed through by Scrivener without replacement or anything, no matter where they are.

Can you give us a little more info, like whether these are inline or inspector footnotes, and tell us what the compile screen has set for any footnote-related options.

Thanks!

Ok, so I’m adding footnotes within Scrivener in the “Comments & Footnotes” field on the right-hand side (inline footnotes had no effect on my problem, already tried that).

Regarding the compiling settings, see screenshots. Through playing around with the settings, I’ve managed to get the footnotes visible in my .rtf-file at the bottom of the document. I however need them at the bottom of each page.

Any idea?
02.png
01.png

The “Flatten Footnotes and comments into regular text” turns them into endnotes at the end of my document, not into regular footnotes at the end of the page.

Uncheck the two boxes that say “export (inline|inspector) footnotes as endnotes”. These boxes when checked take footnotes from the bottom of each page (default) and turns them into endnotes at the end of the document.

Thank you Jangari for the taking the time, but it is still not formatted correctly…

That’s really odd. And is beyond the limit of my knowledge and experience on the matter.

One last thing you could try, if the footnotes are coming out as endnotes instead of footnotes but are otherwise okay, is to select all the endnotes, right-click and select ‘convert to footnote’.

I have also tried that already. So I compiled them as endnotes, then formatted the rtf file through Endnote, opened the new file in Word and tried to convert the endnotes into footnotes as the final step, but Word ignores this, although the little numbers within the text are on each page at the correct position.

I’m surely not the first person encountering this problem though.

I just noticed the same problem (I believe it is the same problem).

I create a simple document in Scrivener with a single footnote using the EndNote (X7) code: {Jaszczolt, 2013 #471@12}

I then compile the document as an rtf (word compatible) that results in a Test.rtf document.

If I open it in Word I DO see the footnote.

If I open it in TextEdit I DO NOT see the footnote.

If I open it in Nisus Writer Pro I DO see the footnote.

NEXT

If I try to do an EndNote “Format Paper” of the Test.rtf document as compiled by Scrivener Endnote does not see any citations.

If I first open the document in Nisus Writer Pro and resave the document and THEN do an EndNote Format Paper EndNote DOES see the citation and properly formats the paper.

It would appear that the RTF file compiled from Scrivener and the RFT saved from Nisus Writer Pro are different in someway.

I have included the test files:
Test-compiled from scrivener.rtf
Test-saved from Nisus.rtf
Test.scriv

I hope that helps the folks as Literature and Latte discover what is happening.
Archive.zip (46.7 KB)

Try compiling to Word as a native Word document (.docx) after first checking to ensure that Enable enhanced converters for Microsoft Word and OpenOffice documents is enabled under export options in preferences. This generally works better for compiling to Word than going via RTF and is better at maintaining features.

So I’ve found a slight workaround, which for some reason doesn’t always seem to work.

1. Compile into .docx
  2. Open .docx with Word. Save as .rtf
  3. Format .rtf file in Endnote.
  4. Open with Word and save as .docx again.

However, using this way, Endnote appears to cut off parts of the document. But footnote annotations and Endnote generally seem to be an issue.

Could someone from Literature and Latte/Srivener follow up on this maybe?

Given that EndNote and Word play nicely together (better, in fact, than EndNote & RTF), why use RTF at all?
Note: I’m posting this as someone who wrote his doctoral thesis in Scrivener, using EndNote to manage citations and Word to format it all at the end.

Compiling into .docx directly then doesn’t allow me to go to Endnote->Tools->Format Paper and format the entire paper. If I compile into .docx directly how would I format my citations?

Within Word (EndNote has a plugin for Word). It works brilliantly, is safe and easy to use. I once compared processing text through EndNote to using the EndNote plugin for Word to see which was easier and gave the best results. The difference was so great, in both ease and quality, that I never used the direct EndNote method again (honestly, that was the last time). From memory, formatting a reference list involves 2 mouse clicks.

My only warning is that with the plugin comes the ability to use a feature that displays your references in their final format while you write. EndNote calls this feature Cite While You Write (CWYW); I call it Devil’s Plot to Destroy Your Work – I was burned in my early experiences with this feature (before I started my thesis) and some of the horror stories I’ve heard since could cause sleeplessness and panic attacks in post-graduate students. But you need not worry – I wrote my entire doctoral thesis, with multiple(!!) compiles to Word and generated dozens (hundreds?) of temporary Reference lists via Word without ever once using the dreaded CWYW.

To be fair to EndNote, I haven’t used CWYW for years so I don’t know how stable it is now. It may, in fact, be awesomely brilliant (I have heard that it is much improved). However there is no need to use it and, given that using EndNote within Word is already significantly easier than processing text files through EndNote, you won’t miss it.

There are lots of online help files and tutorial videos about how to use EndNote with Word, and your university probably has some onsite support information (try your library), so have a go. Worst case scenario you won’t like and will go back to the system you use now. I’m confident that you’ll soon wish you’d discovered it ages ago.

Thanks for the advice. Will try your way and see if it finally formats all references in the text and the footnotes as well.