footnotes & endnotes

Hello

I really enjoy writing with Scrivener. I’ve started to write my dissertation with it. I was wondering if it’s possible to display the footnotes directly in the end of the text. I want the footnotes in the end of every single page and when I compile it happens that the footnotes slip to the next page. If I were able to display them I could correct that without compile.

My other question is about endnotes. I want the footnotes on every single page. E.g. a text with four pages. How can I manage to display the footnotes on every page? I found out that I can use the endnotes function only once in a text.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

There’s no way of viewing end-of-page footnotes in Scrivener itself, because footnotes are stored over in the inspector and Scrivener isn’t intended as a full page layout program; instead, this sort of thing is left to the Compile (export) stage. To get end-of-page footnotes, you need to compile to the RTF format and then open the resulting file in a word processor that supports footnotes and RTF such as MS Word, Open Office or Nisus Writer.

Hope that helps!

All the best,
Keith

If you open the resultant RTF in Word, and then save it in .docx format (or even just plain old .doc) you will get more control over the presentation of footnotes. Some of mine are awful in RTF, but simply converting to .docx solves it.

Hi,

just want to let you know that I was searching for hours (!) how to get the footnotes on the end of every single page and finally found this forum and thread. The answer helps me a lot (even tough it’s some kind of negative) and now I can go on testing Scrivener.

Thanks for the support!

Hi all. First post so I’m glad to be here and hope to learn a lot… so here comes the first newbie question: how can I export inline footnotes as… well… inline citations? I mean, sometimes the citation needs to be right after our ideas, in the text’s body, and I was using inline footnotes for that.
However, if I try to compile to pdf, they get moved to the document’s last page; if I export to other (rtf, doc) and open with Apple’s Pages (sorry, no MS Office here) they don’t show up. Perhaps Neo-Office?
Thanks

Sadly, Apple are being really closed about Pages. We haven’t seen any improvement in RTF support, and there’s no sign that situation will improve, so you can expect annotations and footnotes to be stripped out when you open an RTF in Pages. I don’t have much experience with Neo Office, so I couldn’t say, but then again, it’s free, so you might as well try it.

As for having notations in-line with your text, instead of at the bottom of a page or the end of the document, you might annotations instead of footnotes.

Thanks for the info. Bad Apple… here’s what I’ve found out:

1. scrivener > export to rtf > import rtf in Pages = no footnotes on Pages
  2. scrivener > export to doc > import doc in Pages = no footnotes on Pages
  3. scrivener > export to rtf > import rtf in libreoffice > save as doc > import doc in Pages = footnotes! :smiley:
    cumbersome, but works. And thanks to Scrivener, I will only to do this at the end of the work, for “aesthetically” purposes.
    Perhaps something can be done to Scrivener’s “export to doc” function in order for it to export footnotes?

I think you’ll find the problem is with Pages. I seem to recall (haven’t done it recently) that if you open the Scrivener exported .doc in Word, you get footnotes (or endnotes). This (I think) is because Word actually does a reasonable job of importing an rtf file (the Scrivener .doc is really an rtf masquerading as a .doc, but Word doesn’t mind). Pages doesn’t like this, though. Mellel or Nisus work better with Scrivener than Pages does, but Nisus is quite expensive (compared with Pages) and Mellel takes a bit of learning. But as you say, one only needs to use something other than Scrivener for the final formatting.

Cheers, Martin.

Unfortunately, the .doc spec is a moving target, which can be changed at any moment by MS without warning. Plus, it’s insanely complex. Keith used the canned .doc exporter that is available to all COCOA programmers, which is anemic at best, but isn’t his problem to maintain. To get around the lack of features with the provided .doc exporter, he enhanced the RTF features that Scrivener gets from Apple to support features that Word can handle, since RTF is an open standard that’s not changing on anybody’s whim anymore.

In short: I doubt Lit & Lat can afford a full-time MS .doc & .docx programmer, which is what it would take. Pages is right out when it comes to an easy workflow with Scrivener if you want footnotes and some of the other RTF features they won’t bother with.

If you got Pages via the App Store, you might consider giving it a low star rating and complain about it’s lack of RTF support for footnotes. A low score might catch someone’s attention.

Unfortunately got it from last year’s (or 2009’s) black friday so I have the retail version… but yes, they both – MS and Apple – could make people’s life easier…