Footnotes for Non-Fiction

I’m new to Scrivener and impressed with its potential.

My first project is a heavily footnoted non-fiction document. I would like for the footnotes to appear at the bottom of each page after compiling. It seems that footnote placement is rather touchy depending on output file format and other factors. I would appreciate getting some configuration suggestions. (I’m on Windows).

-Stan

Your best option is to compile to RTF and then open that in a word processor like Word that supports RTF footnotes. From there you can edit the footnote style if you wish and ultimately print or save to PDF if you need another format for your end product.

Thanks, Jennifer, I see what you mean. To get true footnotes, you are limited to .rtf, .docx, and .doc file formats. The other formats support whole document endnotes or per-section endnotes.

Also, I see why you prefer .rtf - my initial tests suggest it works with Word 2010, OpenOffice 4.1, and LibreOffice 4.2 (but not TextMaker); .docx seems to work with Word and TextMaker but not OpenOffice and LibreOffice (the numbers on the footnotes are repeated, one normal font and one superscipt).

Yes, RTF is Scrivener’s native format, so it has to go through a lot less alteration for compile than other formats that need to run through various converters that do a better or worse job on various elements. RTF is more program agnostic, too–nothing really supports DOCX well except Microsoft Word. We provide a couple converter options for DOC, DOCX, PDF and ODT so you can fiddle and find the the one that works best for the project’s needs, but generally speaking you’re going to get the best preservation of formatting using a straight RTF compile, and then you can always resave to another format afterward.

Thanks for that follow up. I understand better now.