Footnotes in Scrivener 3

I am having some issues getting my footnotes to compile at the end of each page. Rather, they are appearing as endnotes on the last section of my text.

I noticed there were a few Windows users who were having similar issues. They found a workaround compiling to .docx then converting to PDF. This didn’t seem to work for me.

Am I missing something?

Which Compile format are you using? Could it be that you are using a format that is set to use endnotes rather than footnotes, such as APA? Also check that “Export inspector footnotes as endnotes” isn’t ticked in the Compile options.

All the best,
Keith

I wasn’t able to find the “Export inspector footnotes as endnotes” function in the exporter. I copied all of the content into a Chicago Style preset and the footnotes sorted themselves. In Sc2 I had been working in that format and migrating to 3 must have changed that.

I’d still like to know how to change that setting going forward.

The option I mentioned is in the options area of Compile (Compile > gear button among the right tabs). I’d definitely recommend getting familiar with Compile’s differences, either via the tutorial or transition guide, as there are some new ways of thinking when it comes to Compile in 3.0.

It sounds as though you may be been using APA or similar in the original, though, because some academic formats are set to use endnotes.

All the best,
Keith