FOOTnotes instead of ENDnotes

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone knows how to make the footnotes appear at the end of each page instead of at the end of a chapter or the whole paper. Endnotes are unfortunately not accepted in dissertations at my university and I am looking for a way to make it work in Scrivener. So far no luck. :confused:

Thanks in advance.

There isn’t a really good solution for this purely in Scrivener, and for this and other reasons we do not describe the product as a tool for publication—particularly in an academic context where page layout and other such style details can be very strict—but rather purely as a drafting and writing tool. So really what you should be doing here is compiling to RTF and then using a word processor to complete the project to specification. So long as your settings in the Footnotes & Comments compile option pane are set to export footnotes and not endnotes, this is exactly what you need.

That said, you may have luck when using PDF, and setting the layout type to “Proofing” instead of “Publishing” in the Print Settings compile option pane. We do call it “Proofing” for a reason though. It’s not perfect, and there is very little control over it—however it does do a pretty good job of end-of-page footnote layout.