Footnotes Mac/Windows

Hi there,

I’m not sure if I’ve missed something. But at the moment the Windows Beta does not recognize the footnotes from a project created in the Mac Version, right?

Does this mean that I have to change all the footnotes in Mac project into “in-line footnotes”?

thanks!

Right now that is what you need to do, yes. If you are working cross-platform, stick with inline annotations and footnotes. This is a tough one in terms of what it should do. Inspector notes are assigned in a separate file from the RTF file that Scrivener uses to store the text. If you edit the RTF file without Scrivener, all of the links will get out of sync with the text and point to the wrong spot—so at the very least the Windows version would need to offset the link positions correctly as you edit the file, but there are other problems with invisible items in the text, such as overwriting a paragraph and not realising you just erased a bunch of linked notes. Converting everything to inline is probably the sanest solution, until Windows has Inspector notes—which it might soon after the release as they were working hard on getting that ready, but couldn’t quite finish it.

But at this point in time, the Windows version will erase linked notes, which should be considered a bug. So definitely use inlines.

Thanks for clearing things up a bit. I just exported a draft on the Mac and if I import that on my Windows machine, all citations should be ‘inline’.

I’m pretty impressed how quick development is catching up with the current version for Mac and I’m very much looking forward to the release.

Ok, there seems to be a serious bug with the in-line citations. I’ve exported my file from the Mac version into .doc and I’ve re-imported it into the Windows version. All footnotes show up as in-line citations as intended. But when I closed the project and opened it on the Mac again, even the in-line citations were gone.

This effectively means that I have to export and re-import the body of text every time I have to switch platforms. Although it’s a bit cumbersome, it might work easily with the sync-feature of the Mac version. But: The mac exports to .rtf, but the “import”-dialogue on the Windows version will only allow me to import html, txt or doc. This means one additional step of exporting. What I don’t really understand is why that is especially since the Windows version converts the .doc to .rtf on import anyhow. I guess this could be easily fixed by working on the “import”-dialogue and it would really make life easier for those of us who have to work on both OS’s.

Thanks.

I’m seeing some glitches in the transfer as well. But first, it sounds like you are transferring the data between platforms by compiling (exporting?). Optimally, you should just be copying the .scriv folder back and forth. That’s the intended usage. You will of course lose all kinds of project specific data by using Compile to move your book back and forth.

That aside:

I noticed a few problems (and this is mostly for Lee). If I create a sample document on the Mac:

\f0\fs24 \cf0 \{\\Scrv_annot \\color=\{\\R=1.000000\\G=0.000000\\B=0.000000\} \\text= \f1\fs28 Here is an annotation. I have some notes that I would like to jot down, and this will let me do so. \f0\fs24 \\end_Scrv_annot\} \f1\fs28 Dri srung gronk ozlint; zeuhl la, ti dri. Relnag xi nalista dri lydran wynlarce, prinquis zorl nalista, zeuhl re obrikt relnag erk wynlarce wex pank gronk? Menardis clum, morvit

Here is what comes out of the RTF file after opening the project in Windows:

\pard\plain \tx560\tx1120\tx1680\tx2240\tx2800\tx3360\tx3920\tx4480\tx5040\tx5600\tx6160\tx6720\fi380\sl263\slmult1\ql\ltrch\loch {\f0\fs24\cf1 \{\\Scrv_annot\\color=\{\\R=1.000000\\G=0.000000\\B=0.000000\} \\text=Here is an annotation. I have some notes that I would like to jot down, and this will let me do so. \\end_Scrv_annot\}}{\f1\fs28\cf1 Dri srung gronk ozlint; zeuhl la, ti dri. Relnag xi nalista dri lydran wynlarce, prinquis zorl nalista, zeuhl re obrikt relnag erk wynlarce wex pank gronk? Menardis clum, morvit}

Key thing to note is the lack of a space between \\Scriv_annot and \\color. When this is opened straight on the Mac version, nearly all of the test ranges fail. The annotations reveal their code right in the editor, and some footnotes disappear. If I add a space into the correct spot using a text editor, the project opens with the annotations intact.

The footnote is more peculiar. I tested two different footnotes. One of them came out just fine, the second one was encoded using standard RTF footnote syntax, not Scrivener syntax, and so disappears from the Mac version which only parses RTF footnotes on import, not whenever you click on something in the binder.

Original from the Mac:

\{\\Scrv_fn= \f1\fs22 Another footnote here, for the road. \f0\fs24 \\end_Scrv_fn\}

After opening project on Windows:

{\msup\chftn{\footnote\pard\plain {\msup\chftn}\f0\fs24\cf1  Another footnote here, for the road. }}

The curious thing about this is that this is the second footnote in the file. The first one looks more like the first code sample and it works perfectly fine. In fact it was the only thing that survived the round-trip in this test file.

Ok, I’ve tried it again and it works if you convert all the footnotes directly in Scrivener.

So I will have to refine my bug report:

When you import a text with footnotes from RTF or DOC into the Windows version (1.7) and save the project, the in-line footnotes from said text will not be preserved when you open the same project again on the Mac. This has happened to me with two different projects. The footnotes were there on Windows and they were gone on Mac.

Anyhow, thanks for the nice feedback, looking forward to final release.