Footnotes not endnotes?

Is it possible to compile to pdf and have the footnotes appear at the end of each page? I really want to use scrivener for university but the style sheet dictates footnotes not endnotes and nothing I have tried so far has worked…

thanks

Ian

Hi,

You need to export to RTF, open the RTF file in a word processor such as Word or Nisus, and then print from there to get real footnotes.

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Okay, so it doesn’t work with Pages?
That’s a shame

Is it a feature that you will be adding at some point in a future update? I find exporting to pdf in Pages useful because you are sure of what it will look like when printed at university on their computers (there is invariably some formatting error when transferring from Pages to Word)

thanks

If you search the forums you will find various posts that basically show that Pages is very difficult to “interact with”. Somewhere or other there are even links that will take you to a page where you can complain about how poor their support for RTF is, and ask them to improve it.

Best, Martin.

Okay but why can’t I export to pdf from within Scrivener and print it with the footnotes intact? That would eliminate the need for me to use Pages at all.

A full-blown word processor is what’s required to lay out footnotes, especially if they’re extensive and, say, run over to the following pages. Scrivener isn’t a full-blown word processor, of the MS Word/Pages kind; although it has many layout and formatting tools, its focus is on content and “…getting you to the end of that all-important first draft”. (I’m assuming you mean rtf not pdf?)

No I do mean pdf. Currently I write essays in Pages and then save to pdf via the os x print menu and then print the pdf off at university. It means I don’t need to worry about errors in formatting and I can write in fonts which the university might not have installed. Oh well, I’ll continue with Pages then I guess.

Thanks anyhow.

Ian

OK, well you can certainly print a Scrivener documents as a pdf, you just won’t be able to have footnotes laid out as they would be with a word processor.

But don’t overlook the value of Scrivener as a content tool and the various features it has which support this. There are many, many Scrivener users in academic or educational roles of one kind or another who value the application for that reason.

Pages uses a proprietary file format that Apple won’t share with third-party developers, so it’s not possible to support the .pages format directly, and Pages has poor RTF support, unfortunately.

Scrivener cannot print with end-of-page footnotes because this would require a full layout engine, and I am but a single developer. :slight_smile: End-of-page footnotes are incredibly complex from a technical perspective, which is why generally it is only the big-name word processors with whole teams working on them that support them. I really hope we are able to add this for version 3.0 (around 2013), though.

All the best,
Keith