Footnotes not working as before after 2.4 update

Hi. Has anyone else noticed this change in behaviour that appeared after updating to version 2.4? WIth the Comments and Footnotes pane open on the right side of the Scrivener window, I usually place my insertion point within the text of the document where i want the footnote to appear and then click the “+fn” icon in the upper right hand corner of the Comments and Footnotes pane in order to add a footnote. This appears to no longer work, and both the “+” sign (to add a Comment) and the “+fn” icon are both greyed out. I can still use the Format–>Footnote command in the menu bar, or click on the Footnote icon in the Header Bar, but would like the option to simply click “+fn” in the Comments and Footnotes pane, as i’m most used to that. MIght the functionality be restored soon? Many thanks.

This has not been disabled (we would have removed the buttons had that been the case). I just did a quick test and am having no difficulty using the Inspector buttons to create both comments and footnotes. So I would recommend downloading a fresh copy of the software from our website and re-installing it (there is no need to delete anything, just drop the new one in over the old one while Scrivener is closed). Sometimes, when updating, the interface can glitch and cause strange things like this to happen. If it continues to malfunction after reinstalling, could you confirm that it continues to fail in a new blank test project?

I have been having the same problem, almost.

First, I notice that nothing I do stops the epub endnotes from having double numbers (not always) in the epub. For instance: the first endnote will look like 1. 1. texttexttext. (the 2nd occurance of 1. is a hyperlink). Then the next endnote will be 2. texttexttext. (there is no preceeding digit, and the 2. is a hyperlink). Then the third might be like either the first with at doubled number, or like the second endnote. I cannot get rid of the extra digits even if I change the endnote preference to use symbols instead of arabic or other numbers.

Also, the fonts that the endnotes display in differ between the notes. Bizzare. (I’ve intentionally formatted them the same in the inspector).

Second, in trying to figure out this anomaly, I ran across the problem mentioned in this thread: grayed out +fn button in the inspector.

I have found that some of my documents have this problem, but not other of my documents (all in the same project, of course). If I go to a document that allows the +fn button to appear, then I can press the up or down arrow key to eventually get to the document and line where I want to use the button to add the endnote. The +fn button then stays colored in, and works. (I can always add, even if the +fn is gray, if I use the Cntl+Cmd+8 shortcut).

But if I click somewhere in the document that tends to have the +fn be gray, then even if the +fn is black and active (because I scrolled down into the document), the +fn will immediately gray out.

I did what you suggested in the previous comment: I re-downloaded the program from your site, replaced my previous copy of the program, restarted. No difference.

Also, no matter how I create the endnotes, the formatting problem I mentioned above repeats.

One other bizzaro characteristic: the “-” sign in the inspector is black and active even when the “+” and +fn" are gray.

I’m attaching my project. Hope it isn’t too much to make you give up in frustration.

Thanks for your help.

Dave Nance

I think the attachment failed, make sure to zip the project beforehand. The forum cannot handle entire directory uploads (which is what a Scrivener project really is).

As for the numbers, it sounds to me as though you have stray list formatting in your project. Unfortunately that can be a pain to find sometimes, since it is possible for something to be in a list environment without having a bullet or associated counter. If possible, the best way to go about it is to select all of the text in the section and set the list type to “None”. This is undo-able, so if something goes afoul with the formatting you can just undo and then work around the problematic area (like spots that are supposed to be lists :slight_smile:).

If you check in the Footnotes/Comments compile option pane, you’ll find an “Override font” option. Enable that, set the font you and size you desire and that will make the entire project’s endnote formatting uniform. Naturally, in an ePub, which font family you choose will be of less impact than the size.

Can I presume then that you are using Scrivenings mode? Every detail matters when tracking down a bug. Anything else you can think of that would be out of the ordinary—of typing into a default editor in a brand new blank project—could be useful.

Thanks so much!

I will track down the list formatting when I finish writing this.

I did change the font & size in the Footnotes/Comments compile option pane, using the Override font option. It didn’t change a thing. This made me finally decide that I needed to ask someone for help.

I’ll keep you advised as to my progress on the list formatting.

Have fun!
Dave

Your suggestion about the list mode was absolutely correct. Problem solved!

As to the gray +fn issue:
Yes, I am using scrivenings mode.
I still have some documents that allow the +fn to be black, others where it is gray, and I can’t seem to find a factor that would make it so.

However, I have found that even when it is gray, if I highlight a single character (or more) the + and +fn both become black and operative. I notice in the documents where the +fn is black no matter if I highlight a character or not, if I click it, it immediately highlights the word nearest it.

So, at this point, it is more an oddity rather than a problem to me.

thanks so much for your help.

Dave

Would you be willing to send this project to us for analysis? If it is only happening in some documents, and consistently at that, then it could be a formatting problem with the document. If that is agreeable, use the File/Back Up/Back Up To... menu command to create a zip-compressed copy of the project and attach that to an e-mail to windows.support [size=60]at[/size] literatureandlatte [size=60]dot[/size] com.

If you’re worried confidentiality, you can use project replace to scramble the content by swapping a few common letters around (on a copy of the project, naturally :slight_smile:).