Footnotes Not Working

The following is an example when I compile my paper. The footnotes do not compile correctly. As you can see the reference is still in the text and not removed to the bottom of the page as a footnote. I have also used the comments as well for the footnotes and not all of the reference is removed.

Paul explained to the Galatians about the false teachers of the law and there opposition to what Paul and Barnabas were teaching. {D. A. Carson and Douglas J. Moo, Kindle Edition, An Introduction To The New Testament, 2nd (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House, 2005), location 11798.} Paul stressed to the Galatians the one true gospel that he preached. Paul wanted the Galatians to know that the gift of eternal life was free and that they did not need to do anything to receive that gift. Paul preached justification by faith.

A few more details will help us help you. How are you creating the footnotes in the document? What format are you compiling to and what are the settings in the Comments & Footnotes tab of the Compile options? What program are you using to view the compiled document?

I create the footnote by highlighting the reference and then going to Format/Footnote. In the Compile Options I have Footnotes to be exported as RTF and no boxes are checked. I have the document compiled as as Word Doc.

Ah, ok. The problem is that your footnote isn’t actually a footnote, then; it’s main document text linked to a presumably empty footnote in the inspector. There are two types of footnotes you can create in Scrivener, inline footnotes (Format > Inline Footnote) and inspector or linked footnotes (Format > Footnote). Inspector footnotes are similar in appearance to margin comments, if you’re familiar with these in Word for instance; they appear in a grey box in the Comments & Footnotes tab of the inspector, linked to the text in the main document that they’re associated with (when compiled, the footnote marker is placed at the end of where the link is). So you’d select the text you wanted to footnote and choose Format > Footnote, then type the footnote text into the box in the inspector–the focus should be getting moved there as soon as you create the note, ready for typing. Then you return to your main text (just press Escape or click into the editor) and continue typing your main text.

It sounds like you’re working as though you’re using inline footnotes, which are kept directly within the main text but use a special “footnote” formatting (appearing as a grey bubble around the text), so when compiled these again become footnotes and the marker here is placed wherever that footnote-formatted text started. WIth this method you could either toggle on the inline footnote formatting, type the footnote, then toggle it off, or you could select existing text as you’re doing and then format it as an inline footnote via Format > Inline Footnote (or Ctrl+Shift+F).

You can either go through your document and delete the existing empty footnotes, then select the footnote text and format it as an inline note, or you can cut the footnote text from the document and paste it into a newly created inspector footnote (you’d need a new one since you’re cutting all the text the current one is attached to). Edit > Find > Find by Formatting will let you skip through your documents to each footnote, so that will be a handy tool for this, and then I think keyboard shortcuts will be your friend to make this go more quickly. Ctrl+Shift+F toggles inline footnote formatting and Shift+F5 creates an inspector footnote. So for instance you might use Find by Formatting to find your footnote, which will select all the linked text (i.e. what you intend to have as your actual footnote text) in the editor; you could then Ctrl+X to cut it, effectively also deleting the empty footnote; backspace as necessary, then Shift+F5 to create a new inspector footnote (it should automatically attach to the preceding word if your insertion point is next to it) and Ctrl+V to paste the footnote text into the inspector footnote. Then Ctrl+Shift+F3 to find the next footnote and repeat.

Keep an eye out during this for any footnotes that do contain text already (in the inspector), to ensure you don’t accidentally delete an existing footnote in the process.

Thanks the footnotes are working correctly. It is Shift+F4 and not Shift+F5.