Footnotes problem

Hello everyone, I just downloaded the trial to test out scrivener. I’m planning to write a dissertation with this program, because I’m afraid, that word might crash when it comes to longer documents.
Now, I have been trying to set up the footnotes as I need them, i.e. at the end of a page. I realized that it is necessary to export as *rtf file to see the footnotes at the end of a page, and also I unchecked the “use period and space instead of superscript in markers” function to get them in the right format. Now, a big problem, however, is that the footnotes will extend from the bottom of one page to the other, which is absolutely not acceptable for me. Are there any ways to tell scrivener, that it should rather shift some text from one page to the other, so that there is more space for footnotes? I tried it out with one footnote, which was fairly short, but it would break the footnote on two pages, anyhow. I don’t want to know what would happen if it came to even longer footnotes and multiple references (which is usual in academic writing).
Also I have another question: so far I have about 30 documents which I imported into scrivener, to structure them (a real nice feature!). Let’s say I add some footnotes on one document and add some others in another document before it (or after it) . Will scrivener automatically change the numbering of all footnotes as soon as I compile several documents together?

I would be very thankful for any help!
Thanks, J

Hi,

Thanks for trying Scrivener.

Actually, the way footnotes get arranged on the pages is nothing to do with Scrivener - this is all handled by whichever program you are opening the RTF file in (which program are you using?). In the RTF, it just says, “Here’s some text, and by the way, it has a footnote after it, and here is the text of the footnote; you should/should not superscript the markers and use roman/numeric numbering.” How the footnote is then laid out is entirely up to the program that opens the RTF file, so Scrivener has no control over that.

As for footnote numbering, yes, that’s all handled automatically. Footnote numbering is only handled at Compile time, so it will always be updated (and in RTF files, the only information is, “Here is a footnote, and it uses this sort of numbering” - the program in which the RTF file is opened will then handle the actual numbering).

All the best,
Keith

Dear Keith, thanks for the quick reply. I’m using Word 2011, so I suppose it’s the old problem that many people have to fiddle with. I just tried to mess around with the RTF file in Word, and also the footnote dialogue, and I somehow achieved it that footnotes will remain on one page. Thanks for your help! I’m going to try Scrivener out for some more days, but so far it makes a good impression on me. Good Work!
Please allow one last question: I need to quote a lot (poetry), which is usually indented and has a different kind of formatting than the other text. Would you recommend me to just write it as I write the other text and format it with some custom layout in word later?

Hi,

I would format in Scrivener. If it’s all going to be formatted the same, you could create a formatting preset (these aren’t like styles, as they don’t automatically update existing text; they are more like saving a bunch of formatting that you can then apply to any text). To do this, you would format one block of poetry, select some of it and use Format > Formatting > New Preset From Selection. Then you could apply this formatting to any other blocks of poetry. If you want to override the formatting of most of the text at export/compile time without overriding the formatting of the poetry blocks, you could apply Format > Preserve Formatting to those blocks (which can also be part of a preset).

All the best,
Keith

Wow, thanks for the advice, I really appreciate your help :exclamation: Wouldn’t know that this is so easy. I will try that out. :smiley:
Kind regards,
J