Footnoting with numbers or asterisks?

Hi everyone,

I’m new to Scrivener (mac user, v. 3.1.1) and am in the third year of writing a History PhD, so my manuscript has a lot of citations and references (often up to ten per page). I’ve always used Chicago referencing, during both editing and formatting phases of my completed chapters, and I’m hoping to import/copy in my existing chapters (.docx format).

However, the way Scrivener highlights footnotes in-text (by highlighting the last word) is really bugging me, and given the density of my footnotes, is a real distraction and irritation when writing. See below:
Screen Shot 2018-11-23 at 00.02.45.png
I’m desperately in need of a more subtle way of citing my references whilst editing, ideally with an asterisk or numbers (I’ve found just manually highlighting the last character - often the full stop - is fiddly and also easy to accidentally delete without realising). I’ve searched around in preferences but really can’t find any way of changing it. I’m not sure whether I’m overlooking something obvious here, as I read in the Scrivener User Manual that this can be changed? (see below):
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 23.55.33.png
In short, does anyone know how to swap the highlighting of the sentence’s last word for one simple asterisk/number when adding footnotes, or whether it’s possible? And how I would go about importing/copying in my current chapters - that have over 1,000 footnotes (so not something I want to be manually rearranging myself)? Any help would be massively appreciated.

Many thanks,
Freddie

Go to Project > Project Settings > Format and you’ll find an option to set your own footnote marker, with asterisk suggested.
:slight_smile:

Mark

Ahh that’s perfect! Totally overlooked this. Thank you! :smiley:

Oh. Now I see this. Sigh. Is there any way to retroactively convert footnotes that have been anchored to highlighted text to instead anchor to an asterisk?

@lutefiasco If you go Edit>Transformations you can convert to Inline footnotes, then back to Inspector footnotes.

Brilliant. Many thanks.