For those that use the scrivener 3 beta

Was talking to a friend about the ‘old days’ and chuckled about the weekend I sacrificed to update a ‘perfect release’ on an IBM Series 1.

10 - count them TEN! 8" floppy disks just for a bug patch. That was in the 80s and a lost weekend I could have spent with my GF at the time because the system could not be offline for 2 days during the week. Salaried, so no OT.

So if L&L want to release V3 with a list of bugs that will be squashed with a few 2 minute downloads and installs, I’ll be as happy as a pig in mud! :laughing:

(not to mention the 21 1.44 floppies to update OS/2)

God we have it good now!

LOL…and, I can recall when I thought 5.25" floppys were about as advanced as computing could get. Oh my… :unamused:

Sure glad I still have so many still around to serve as drink coasters. :smiley:

There were no such days. I have both hardware patched computers, and used DOS DEBUG to alter the assembly instructions in commercial software to remove hard crash bugs. When I got an ICE debugger, it got a lot easier to do these things. They were incredibly common back then, and the main difference compared to today was that it was expensive and difficult to get patches.

Those are not days I want to return to.

Today, software generally handles bugs and problems a lot more gracefully. Minor bugs are fine, especially if they are documented and crop up in edge cases. If I am pushing my software beyond the “standard use”, I make sure to read the release notes first. Then I’m usually fine. Usually.

The Beta is fine for organizing ones work, writing and editing on, from what I can tell - personally and from the forum reports. I don’t use Scrivener to gather research material, like PDF’s and images, so no idea how stable that is. Compile at its most basic seems to have no issues at all, but when you get fancy things seem to be a bit up in the air. In all, for me, the software is done. If it didn’t take up over 2GB when installed on Linux I would be using it all the time.

May I ask which software you use for gathering research?

For the majority of my research, I use QOwnNotes, with a Dropbox folder for saving my notes in. I use the browser integration to store information, and then organize it according to my projects or areas of interest.

On my iPad and iPhone I use Notebooks 10, pointed to the same Dropbox directory. That allows me to access the notes anywhere, and also lets me create tasks for Todoist for when I find something actionable.

This also lets me have Notebooks 10 next to Scrivener on the iPad, which would be perfect if iOS Scrivener could work with Linux Scrivener projects. The 2.2 GB footprint of Windows Scrivener just doesn’t work on a netbook, which is what I mostly write on.

Many thanks for this!

I confess that I had not taken much notice of Notebooks, but it looks to me, after an hour’s research, as though this may easily replace Evernote (for the uses to which I put Evernote), with a lot of advantages: financial and organisational.

You can learn such a lot of interesting things here :slight_smile:

Have you checked out Notion?

It seems to be a potential Evernote replacement.

Thank you

I can live with the innumerable updates, but personally, I think this beta has much less in terms of bugs than version 1 for windows has, which is/was for sale. I’d just as soon get it overwith and buy an imperfect version 3 so that I don’t have to keep reinstalling if I happen to pass two week “expiry” period without opening the app and updating it that way. Anyway, can’t complain about free. Just saying imho it’s good enough now to buy. I can live with things this way but am really looking forward to purchasing it.

I’ve been wanting to adopt Scrivener as my primary writing tool for years, but have been waiting on one specific feature which I NEED.

I need to be able to sort the outline view by modified date. My workflow process depends on looking at the most recent things I’ve made changes to.

Seeing as how this fairly straightforward, simple feature has STILL not been implemented, it definitely looks to me like a full Scrivener 3 for Windows is a long way off, since the main goal of version 3 is to bring the whole feature set of the Mac to Windows,

I even payed for Scrivener last year, assuming that Scrivener 3 would be coming soon, or at least that the beta would have this feature soon. I’ve been bitterly disappointed.

I need to be able to sort the outline view by modified date. My workflow process depends on looking at the most recent things I’ve made changes to.

In Beta 40 you can sort the outline by Modification Date.

In the Beta, the easiest way to view which files have changed recently is to use the project search function, enter an asterisk * into the search field, and then under the Search Results, there will be a drop-down for sorting; choose Sort by Date, then select Newest First.

You can save this search (click on the loupe icon) as a collection, so you can quickly return to it any time you like.

If you want to see a list of modified documents with the specific date & time of last modification, you can select all (CTRL-a), and then go into outline mode and enable the appropriate columns for your needs.