Format and/or display changes after text merge. What?

Surely I must be doing something wrong but I can’t figure this out. When I merge text documents with identical formatting (same as my defaults), the merged version ends up with a different format that’s difficult to change. Or maybe the format is the same but the display is different? But either way I can’t figure out how to make it behave consistently. This started with the last or next to last RC.

I’ve changed all my default formats to the same thing, or at least I think I have, but after the format changes post-merge, if I Convert > Text to Default Formatting, it doesn’t do anything. Take a look at the ruler in these before and after screenshots.

[attachment=2]Merge before.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]Merge after 1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=0]Merge after 2.jpg[/attachment]

That first shot is pre-merge. Second shot is immediately post-merge. Third shot is simply after clicking to a different doc and clicking back on the merged doc, which is different than immediately post-merge. These appear to be three different formats or displays, but converting to default changes nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Don’t worry. It’s not you. It’s a bug. I’ve been getting the same thing.

[attachment=2]MergeTest.png[/attachment]

This screenshot is right after merging the two documents. It looks like merging causes Scriv to ignore the margins in the editor.

And as your images show, this shifts the indent alignments on the ruler, but the text still indents normally.

[attachment=1]MergeTestIndent.png[/attachment]

But if I select a different document and then return to the merged document, the margins disappear completely. (But at least the indent marks line up again.)

[attachment=0]MergeTestNoMargin.png[/attachment]

I have found that if I close and re-open the project, the merged document returns to normal. So, easy workaround. (You can also Duplicate the merged document, and the duplicate will align the text normally again, but I think it’s easier to just close and re-open.)

The margins disappear the same way when I merge documents in the fixed width editor, but it doesn’t happen in Page View. Page View always displays and aligns the margins and text correctly, even if they’re misaligned in other views.

Well that’s a relief. I think. I recently noticed that duplicating the merged document realigns the text properly, but I hadn’t noticed that closing and reopening does the same. Just tried it, and yep sure enough. So, that’s two decent workarounds until they fix it, assuming they know it’s something that needs to be fixed. I wonder if I should repost this in the bug forum.

I went ahead and posted a link.