Format in compiled document

When I write my document in Scrivner, I format my chapter a certain way, leaving space before and after the Chapter number. When the document is compiled the spaces are included in some chapters and not in others. Also, ePub 2 and ePub3 are different outputs. Is there a way to construct the chapters so this does not occur??
Another issue involves type fonts - if a font is not supported by Scrivner the compiled version removes the spaces and the result is all single space as well as substituting another font and font size (48 down to 12)

Hello Stanley!

Your question is difficult to answer. Actually, it’s three questions.

(1) Space around chapter numbers: Do you refer to horizontal space or vertical space, aka empty lines? How do you produce the empty space in your documents (empty lines, formatting the paragraph with “Line and paragraph spacing”, …)?

(2) ePub2 vs . ePub3: In which regard do both outputs differ? Can you give an example?

(3) Fonts: With space you mean vertical space? I am no expert in the Scrivener compiler, but I could imagine that the compiler in case of an unknown font substitutes a standard font in standard size. Are you certain that you are not compiling with a format, in which “Override text and notes formatting” is not set. Some formats ignore the formatting of your documents completely and substitute it with the formatting defined in the layout section type. For example the Manuscript (Courier) format does this.

Thanks for replying -

in #1 I am referring to blank space. I designated the chapter number as a paragraph style. It is Times New Roman 18 pt with 4 returns above it and 2 returns after it,
in #2 I refer to the fact that it is the same originating text, etc. but, the compile output is different in how it compresses the vertical space around the chapter numbers (see above).

in #3 I will have to look into that further. On one of my pages I match the font from the cover picture with the same font on the page (60 pt STENCIL) and the compile outputs (12 point different font)

Sorry, but I have to ask some more questions.

(1) So when you say “blank space” you mean empty lines, i.e. vertical space, correct? And you are entering that space by hitting the RETURN key several times, correct? The differences in handling could arise from some of your empty lines not being really empty, but containing some blanks or tabs and the compiler handling those differently. You can easily check that by switching on View → Text Editing → View Invisibles.

(2) That could be based on the same problem as (1). ePub2 and ePub3 might handle things differently.

(3) To reproduce things here it would be good to know which format are you compiling with. Open the compile dialog (CTRL + SHIFT + E) then tell us what you have selected in the Formats column and what is selected in “Compile for” at the very top.

Thanks for the suggestions -

I tried all four compiles, ePub2, ePub3, PDF and Manuscript. Am using Windows 10. Had problems with Adobe InDersign CC also - Adobe told me that their problem was being caused by a Microsoft update and that their fix was being worked on, but no time frame available. When looking at my “hidden” codes, they all show up as standard returns, With Indesign, TS said I needed to use Shift + Return before they told me it was a MS problem. That didn’t work either for vertical spaces compressing with InDesign.

In the meantime, I am trying to get my book out ASAP, but cannot compile to a usable document. Haven’t figured out Calibre or Sigil yet.